A great stepping stone!

Current Employee - Hostess in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Hostess in Miami, FL

I have been working at Benihana full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great working staff! Everybody is warm to each coworker. Hardly ever had any trouble working with them. The managers are amazing. They can be very strict on you if you just started but they are actually nicer. :) Oh and we get free Employee Meals which are cooked by our own chefs themselves. And we get 50% off for dining in!! :)

Cons

We have to work on holidays, Thanksgiving, Independence Day, Christmas, New Year all except Thanksgiving. The tipping system too can be a bit of a problem between the servers and the chefs. Work can be very overwhelming if you just started. A lot of people don't last for a week or so.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Terrible job if trying to earn enough for a living. Good for teens.

Current Employee - Lounge Server in City of Industry, CA
    Current Employee - Lounge Server in City of Industry, CA

I have been working at Benihana part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, 50% discount and gaining experience

Cons

At my location, on the lounge side of the restaurant, there are no bus boys, runners, or anything. Just you, the bar, and the sushi chefs. You are your own bus boy, which means, when you are alone, you may be overwhelmed with over 10 tables whilst having to take the dishes to the back while the management sits back and relaxes/favors the teppan side of the restaurant. Did I mention as you sweat your life away, you split tips with everyone who is working on that side with you that day plus the sushi chefs, so you leave with a whopping $25 worth of tips? Wonderful. Teppan servers earn $100+ a night, but wait- you have to be there for at least a year. But be warned, sometimes they will just settle for an outside hire with restaurant experience instead of granting you your well deserved promotion.

Advice to Management

Be professional and show leadership, not favoritism.

2. A place I would like to go back to

Former Employee - Server in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Server in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Benihana full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

50% off discount for employee meals.Nice environment to dine in.Can get good tips during weekend.Nice co-workers,Nice managers.There is not too much side works

Cons

Have to give more than 50% of tips to chefs and also share with bartenders,buss people and sushibar chefs.Mr.shopper come over monthly.

Advice to Management

Keep doing good works and try to protect your employee from being treated with poor tips.