Bentley Bratcher & Associates

www.bentleyassoc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates

Hostile Environment

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

The firm provides the standard niceties like free snacks and sodas, dinner once a week during busy season and lunch on Saturdays. The Christmas party is nice and each employee receives a fairly extravagant Christmas gift.

Cons

This is the most hostile work environment I, or anyone I know, has ever experienced. The owners have no issue with screaming, cursing and telling employees they are "worthless". Owners also talk about managers and staff in a negative way to other employees. Adequate training and mentoring is not provided, and less experienced employees are left to figure things out themselves. Most employees are terrified to speak to the managing partner. Out of 6 managers that were hired in 2011, only 2 remained at October 2012. Of the 3 seniors that were employed at the firm in January 2012, only 1 remained at November 2012. Of the 9 associates that were employed in January 2012, only 3 remained at December 2012. There has also been significant turnover in the administrative staff. As of December 2012, there has only been one new hire to replace this turnover (a manager). Employees are not treated with respect or professional courtesy. Lunches over an hour and any time absent between 8-5 must be pre-approved and require use of vacation time as opposed to coming in early or staying late to make up the time. Work-life balance is non-existent because the firm cannot stay adequately staffed due to the treatment of its employees. There are numerous administrative meetings that never result in any action or innovation. The managers are ineffective at enacting any true change because the owners hinder any change. In addition to the issues with the work environment and treatment of employees, the quality control review of the work product is sub-par. Projects are finalized and provided to clients with errors on a regular basis. The combination of lack of proper training and lack of top level review is a recipe for disaster in the accounting industry. The firm lost countless clients in 2012 due to poor client service and work product. The issues start at the top and will not change because the top level people are not willing to change.

Learn to treat people with decency and respect. Lead by example and inspiration instead of fear and bullying.

9 Other Employee Reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates (View Most Recent)

Ups and Downs like every job, average in the public accounting field.

Current Employee - Staff Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn all aspects of the firm if you desire. They start you out with a laptop w/remote access and a key to come in on your own time when projects require. Staff seems laid back and so does management. They are straight to the point minimizing wasted time from adding "fluff".

Cons

Absolutely no training manual or schedule. Pretty much expected to be working on projects alone the 2nd day. Not quite sure who answers my questions and pretty much had to teach myself everything. I am no slacker and have a pretty solid knowledge of accounting concepts either. Just to be clear, I had no problem with the CPA exams and breezed through them without studying as much as I did for my drivers license(skimmed the book in line). However to sum it up, "90% of the time, I have no idea what the **** is going on". I like teaching myself. However, I don't even know what general concepts I should be teaching myself. Also, who is in charge here!?!?!?

Focus on developing a core structure or policy manual. I understand significant strides have been made since 2010 but there is still a long road ahead. Keep on focusing on growth but also be more open to teaching others around you.

Lack of management skills, work balance not distributed evenly, lack of respect for employees.

Former Employee - Receptionist  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Receptionist in Houston, TX

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Best part of my job was an outing to with the firm. All food, drinks and games were paid for. They have a fully stocked kitchen with snacks, drinks and a TV. Lunch was the best part of my day! Pay was reasonable given the amount of work that was expected.

Cons

I was given jobs to do with very little hands on training. And on top of that they provided me with an outdated training manual. The work load to ratio of administrative help was unacceptable. There needs to be some sort of balance. My first week people were asking how it was to work in my position and little did I know what I had gotten myself into. I was apparently the 4th receptionist in less than 9 months. No regards to family life, other than on Fridays when we were able to leave directly at 5pm. Otherwise we were expected to stay until all work was finished. Yes overtime was disclosed but in my defense Monday thru Thursday then would have always been overtime days. Great for when I was a single, unmarried woman without kids. I was even told this is why we don't like to hire people with young children. They enjoy making people squirm, in fact they feed off one another. I wouldn't recommend working in this type of hostile environment. Beware unless you enjoy being unhappy and belittled every day.

Update your manuals and training materials. Create a trusting, positive, uplifting and happy work environment. After all, we spend more time at work than at home with our families.

There are newer employer reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates

Worked for Bentley Bratcher & Associates? Contribute to the Community!