This is a great place to work if you would like learn quickly through self-reliance

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

I grew thicker skin after working here, and my critical-thinking skills were enhanced because I was forced to learn things on my own. I also had to learn to not take things personally when management corrected my work. I learned to put my feelings aside when feedback was given. My pay was fair based on my experience level.

Cons

Even though I learned to not take things personally at work because of this job, the manner in which feedback is given could use improvement. Management used derisive language to correct employees. I have heard partners scream curse words when things go awry. As a matter of fact, I recall the partner screaming so loudly in the phone that his voice cracked. The work environment is very not as professional as what I would expect for a CPA firm.

I am a generally optimistic person who chooses to not focus on only bad things. I am very loyal and don't change jobs often. I actually like public accounting because it affords the chance to work with clients one-on-one while utilizing technical accounting knowledge. However, not long after working here, I found myself dreading waking up every work day because of the volatile work environment.

Other Reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates

Hostile Environment

I worked at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time

Pros

The firm provides the standard niceties like free snacks and sodas, dinner once a week during busy season and lunch on Saturdays. The Christmas party is nice and each employee receives a fairly extravagant Christmas gift.

Cons

This is the most hostile work environment I, or anyone I know, has ever experienced. The owners have no issue with screaming, cursing and telling employees they are "worthless". Owners also talk about managers and staff in a negative way to other employees. Adequate training and mentoring is not provided, and less experienced employees are left to figure things out themselves. Most employees are terrified to speak to the managing partner. Out of 6 managers that were hired in 2011, only 2 remained at October 2012. Of the 3 seniors that were employed at the firm in January 2012, only 1 remained at November 2012. Of the 9 associates that were employed in January 2012, only 3 remained at December 2012. There has also been significant turnover in the administrative staff. As of December 2012, there has only been one new hire to replace this turnover (a manager). Employees are not treated with respect or professional courtesy. Lunches over an hour and any time absent between 8-5 must be pre-approved and require use of vacation time as opposed to coming in early or staying late to make up the time. Work-life balance is non-existent because the firm cannot stay adequately staffed due to the treatment of its employees. There are numerous administrative meetings that never result in any action or innovation. The managers are ineffective at enacting any true change because the owners hinder any change. In addition to the issues with the work environment and treatment of employees, the quality control review of the work product is sub-par. Projects are finalized and provided to clients with errors on a regular basis. The combination of lack of proper training and lack of top level review is a recipe for disaster in the accounting industry. The firm lost countless clients in 2012 due to poor client service and work product. The issues start at the top and will not change because the top level people are not willing to change.

Learn to treat people with decency and respect. Lead by example and inspiration instead of fear and bullying.

Ups and Downs like every job, average in the public accounting field.

Current Employee - Staff Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Bentley Bratcher & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunity to learn all aspects of the firm if you desire. They start you out with a laptop w/remote access and a key to come in on your own time when projects require. Staff seems laid back and so does management. They are straight to the point minimizing wasted time from adding "fluff".

Cons

Absolutely no training manual or schedule. Pretty much expected to be working on projects alone the 2nd day. Not quite sure who answers my questions and pretty much had to teach myself everything. I am no slacker and have a pretty solid knowledge of accounting concepts either. Just to be clear, I had no problem with the CPA exams and breezed through them without studying as much as I did for my drivers license(skimmed the book in line). However to sum it up, "90% of the time, I have no idea what the **** is going on". I like teaching myself. However, I don't even know what general concepts I should be teaching myself. Also, who is in charge here!?!?!?

Focus on developing a core structure or policy manual. I understand significant strides have been made since 2010 but there is still a long road ahead. Keep on focusing on growth but also be more open to teaching others around you.

There are newer employer reviews for Bentley Bratcher & Associates.

Worked for Bentley Bratcher & Associates? Contribute to the Community!