Disappointing Downward Spiral

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues on the worker bee level are fantastic people and very talented. As an engineer, I value the teamwork and the friendships I've made in the few years I've been here.

Cons

Upper management is everything you fear about working for corporate. If you are looking for a true small-business culture, this is no longer it. This is very hard for me to say as I joined long enough ago when I remember how special this company was under the original founders. The president and her VP cronies are all from the typical cut-throat big business methodology. Upper management are all too comfortable making empty promises and flat-out lying to the staff about the direction of the company, its financial status and opportunities that were promised when we were first recruited. The engineers have basically been told to sit down, shut up, and bill more hours. Insurance benefits are good but the bonuses are non-existent (my year-end "bonus" last year was $300), they no longer pay for education benefits as they advertise, and the book allowance is a sham. Also, upper management has tied so much red tape around us that we can't get the resources we need. They "can't afford" a $1500 piece of equipment but they can pay their executives 250k a year. There is absolutely no room for upward advancement because every time there is an opportunity, the president hires another one of her friends to fill the role before even considering internal promotions.

Advice to Management

I started at this company when the founders were still in charge and it was really an amazing place to work. They had the heart, vision and integrity to protect the culture they had worked so hard to create. The new management team is pushing for a liquidity event and the president makes jokes among her "equals" in the hallways about SAIC or BAE buying the company out while telling the staff that they have no intentions to sell, which is why they won't offer stock options to the staff. This doesn't however address why all the executives have thousands of options. My advice is to the founders: take your company back because the very special place you built has been completely corrupted in front of you by a group of elitists who don't care about the people who actually make the company successful - the engineers. I know many of us, myself included, will move on soon as things are rapidly declining.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Potential Wasted by Poor Management

Current Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great ground-level staff that make life there bearable.

Cons

Upper management completely lacks direction, focus, and integrity. Big egos, little results, and lots of talk with no action. Too busy playing power games and bragging about how well connected they are, and not busy enough getting actual work.

Advice to Management

Management needs to look in the mirror and stop blaming everyone else for the company's failings. I agree with the other employees that the founders need to come back and re-take control over their company.

Exciting company with a friendly atmosphere

Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Berico Technologies

Pros

Upper management keeps everyone in the loop Everyone is optimistic, even during failure They make new employees feel like they are part of a family They provide developers with the tools they need to get the job done

Cons

For obvious reasons, they keep vital information secure, especially after a break in that made it onto news sites a while ago. This can make some actions harder, but it never effected me as much.

Advice to Management

Keep doing as you have been doing by making Berico a great place to work. I enjoyed my time there and will look back fondly.