Berico Technologies

There are newer employer reviews for Berico Technologies

Ambitious, Innovative, Great People

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic and diverse work force. The company has an extremely educated and engaged group of professionals contributing in many areas of expertise. For the majority of employees, those not on client-sites, the work schedule is extremely flexible. Employees that go above and beyond are rewarded. Weathering the economy; the company continues to get work while other, less fortunate companies, struggle to maintain the work they have.

Cons

Communication could be better. Management needs to do a better job explaining why it does things, and worry less about employee's perceptions. Employees need to do a better job addressing their concerns with management.

Don't suffer fools. The disruptive employees that have unduly brought down morale in the company over the last year should be shown the door. The fantastic set of employees that continue to make sacrifices and propel this company towards greatness should be given more ownership of the company.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Berico Technologies (View Most Recent)

Disappointing Downward Spiral

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My colleagues on the worker bee level are fantastic people and very talented. As an engineer, I value the teamwork and the friendships I've made in the few years I've been here.

Cons

Upper management is everything you fear about working for corporate. If you are looking for a true small-business culture, this is no longer it. This is very hard for me to say as I joined long enough ago when I remember how special this company was under the original founders. The president and her VP cronies are all from the typical cut-throat big business methodology. Upper management are all too comfortable making empty promises and flat-out lying to the staff about the direction of the company, its financial status and opportunities that were promised when we were first recruited. The engineers have basically been told to sit down, shut up, and bill more hours. Insurance benefits are good but the bonuses are non-existent (my year-end "bonus" last year was $300), they no longer pay for education benefits as they advertise, and the book allowance is a sham. Also, upper management has tied so much red tape around us that we can't get the resources we need. They "can't afford" a $1500 piece of equipment but they can pay their executives 250k a year. There is absolutely no room for upward advancement because every time there is an opportunity, the president hires another one of her friends to fill the role before even considering internal promotions.

I started at this company when the founders were still in charge and it was really an amazing place to work. They had the heart, vision and integrity to protect the culture they had worked so hard to create. The new management team is pushing for a liquidity event and the president makes jokes among her "equals" in the hallways about SAIC or BAE buying the company out while telling the staff that they have no intentions to sell, which is why they won't offer stock options to the staff. This doesn't however address why all the executives have thousands of options.

My advice is to the founders: take your company back because the very special place you built has been completely corrupted in front of you by a group of elitists who don't care about the people who actually make the company successful - the engineers. I know many of us, myself included, will move on soon as things are rapidly declining.

Potential Wasted by Poor Management

Current Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Reston, VA

I have been working at Berico Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great ground-level staff that make life there bearable.

Cons

Upper management completely lacks direction, focus, and integrity. Big egos, little results, and lots of talk with no action. Too busy playing power games and bragging about how well connected they are, and not busy enough getting actual work.

Management needs to look in the mirror and stop blaming everyone else for the company's failings. I agree with the other employees that the founders need to come back and re-take control over their company.

There are newer employer reviews for Berico Technologies