Best Buy Canada

www.bestbuycanadaltd.ca
  www.bestbuycanadaltd.ca
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy Canada

Great learning experience and fun

Current Employee - Customer Services Representative II in Victoria, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Customer Services Representative II in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great learning experience and place to work, especially if you're just starting in the work force
- Management teaches you on ways to improve customer service skills on a monthly basis when they schedule a monthly meeting to keep employees up-to-date. This gives employees a chance to practice and also learn about company values and also a chance to learn and demonstrate leadership as well
- Employers will always work around your schedule to give you the working hours and days off needed, at least for me :) (you just need to be cooperative and give them a couple weeks notice, which I think is fine and appropriate)
- Management is great. I made a complaint once and they fixed the problem immediately. In addition, they called me the next day to notify me about it and ask how I am feeling :)

Cons

- the only I can think of is the pay, it's not great but the learning experience working for Best Buy has been quite awesome. You will definitely learn a lot.

Keep up the good work!

202 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy Canada (View Most Recent)

A unique type of workplace

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- friendly staff
    - many things to learn
    - good discounts

Cons

- no "exciting" work
    - warehouse work can be dangerous; be careful and remember safety first at all times

Have more group events and include everyone in meetings

Working at Best Buy...

Current Employee - Home Theatre Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Home Theatre Specialist in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discounts are very good.

Cons

The company is very unstable; from my understanding, there have been several positions that were cut from the hierarchy, including management and supervisor positions in the last few years.

Although the store advertises that it's a non-commissioned, no pressure environment--I beg the differ. It is a very high pressure environment for the average amount of pay. An average Full-Time associate is expected to 'perform' by selling the extra service plans that are attached to every product in the store--therefore it causes favoritism to those that can sell service plans.

The service plans are ridiculous to sell--most of the employees and managers that sell them would not buy it themselves. Example: a recently released Ultimate Protection Plan can cost as much as $29.99 per month for 3 years for a laptop that is only worth $1000--many exclusions with the UPP as well-it doesn't cover physical damage, lost or stolen, and water damage. (The newly released UPP for tablets only, does cover damage, except you're paying up to $16.99 per month for two years-that equates to $450 after taxes--you may as well just buy a new tablet!)

Trying to sell these service plan is the biggest headache. This has caused a lot of manipulation of numbers to make it appear the company does well. During a sales presentation, take notes when the salesman tries to sell you the extra protection, once you say no, you will get many rebuttals as to why you are not purchasing the services. If they are desperate for numbers that day to meet there budget, they would go as far as trying to give you the service for free. Example: If the product costs $1000 and the service costs $300, they will goes as far as selling you the product for $700 and adding the service for $300 to make it an equal $1000. It's business relies on selling extra service plan and the day you can not sell it, the day you will get laid off.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy Canada