Best Buy

Blue shirt blues

Former Employee - Senior in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Senior in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Employee Discount. Other than that, there's not much to write home about.

Cons

No regularity or schedule consistency. Be prepared to sacrifice nights, weekends, holidays. (as with any retail job). Career Growth and advancement depends heavily on present store management. My advice is to discuss your career with store leadership and evaluate the feedback you receive. If they are receptive, encouraging and supportive, then I strongly suggest you pursue those ambitions as opportunities do exist for those with desire & have a welcoming store leadership. If your career plans are not well received, do not waste your time. Being an hourly employee, you are very disposable and can be easily replaced.

If you truly want productive and strong store leadership, provide them with better training and ongoing education. There is also a severe gap for field employees who wish to advance their careers with this company. Employee retention should be top priority and field experience should be highly valued at the corporate level.

6194 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Bad Best Buy

Current Employee - Operations Senior in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Senior in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

One of the best reasons to work there is the benefits. The employee discount is pretty good, but only on specific items, the health package is great, the main thing for me is the Tuition Assistance program that Best Buy offers to their full-time employees; they pay for all of my schooling just as long as I have been an active full time employee for 6 months. The pay is also good, that is if you get the right position. The employee accommodation's that vendors offer is also a good thing, but you need to be on the look out for good deals all the time.

Cons

The management. I have worked at three different Best Buys and the management is the same everywhere. They don't care about the growth of their people, all they care about is profit growth and how it will help them, not you. They are unfair in promotions and only like to give it out to friends or people they have previously worked with regardless of the experience. It seems like Best Buy, at least in my area, is all about who you know and not what you know. Leadership also puts A LOT of pressure on the sales floor to sell so they can get their bonuses.

Please train your management to listen to EVERYONE and empower their people and not their wallets.

Standard retail job.

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Fayetteville, AR
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Fayetteville, AR

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Easy job, very easy to get promoted if you have a strong work ethic or are good with customers/sales.

Cons

Lot of favoritism with management and employees. More needs to be done with providing product knowledge to employees. Company tends to focus more on "care plus" sales technique and absolutely nothing on knowledge of the products they are selling.

Product knowledge is important, train your employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy