There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

My Bad Experience Here Pushed Me to Strive For a College Degree SERIOUSLY!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Starts hourly pay above minimum wage ($8+/hr) -Good paying job for young people (18-25 years old) -Get good hours if employee performance is ok (from 10 to even 30+ a week) -Some people you work with are very cool and understanding -Our shirts for work were free

Cons

-If you are young (I worked there when I was 18) CUSTOMERS and MANAGEMENT talk to and treat you like crap!!! -Selling GSBTP (service plans) is the BIGGEST PAIN! -Keeping your job depends on how many customers you can convince to purchase the service plans (the majority of customers do not like spending the extra money for the service plan and some HARSHLY and RUDELY reject them when you offer them). -Some associates lied to customers and told them the service plans covered things that they actually didn't just to look more impressive to management. -I worked at Front Lanes (cashier) and when it got really busy in the store management would place me in cameras, gaming, media, home theater, and computers when I WAS NOT TRAINED and had no knowledge of the all of products in those areas. I was even sent to GEEK SQUAD one time, tragic. Customers would get angry with me because I did not know about the products in the areas where I was placed ad it was not even my fault. -We have to push customers to apply for the best Buy Credit Card and to buy GSBTP so much, DIRECT SALES SUCKS!!!! But it's how the company makes money....

Advice to Management

Regardless of age, do not talk down to your younger associates or treat them inferiorly! Do not push associates to lie to sell service plans it is not right at all.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. Mobile Sales Associate

Former Contractor - Mobile Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Former Contractor - Mobile Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I worked at Best Buy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

great discounts, buy at cost plus 10%, co-workers are friendly

Cons

dealing with customers, management pushing to sell and sell with no commission or incentive to sell harder

Advice to Management

give out commission

2. Seasonal Jobs

Former Employee - Cashier in Enfield, CT
    Former Employee - Cashier in Enfield, CT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Long hours, great benefits and great discounts, fun people to work with

Cons

It's retail expect long lines and a busy store. Reputation to be expensive for pricing and bad overall management.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting corners. Company associates to clock out early to save money. Stop playing politics looking for bailouts from the government. Company needs to be restructured and stores shouldn't be closing. Company needs to be more ethical.