There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

My Bad Experience Here Pushed Me to Strive For a College Degree SERIOUSLY!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Memphis, TN
Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Memphis, TN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Starts hourly pay above minimum wage ($8+/hr)
-Good paying job for young people (18-25 years old)
-Get good hours if employee performance is ok (from 10 to even 30+ a week)
-Some people you work with are very cool and understanding
-Our shirts for work were free

Cons

-If you are young (I worked there when I was 18) CUSTOMERS and MANAGEMENT talk to and treat you like crap!!!
-Selling GSBTP (service plans) is the BIGGEST PAIN!
-Keeping your job depends on how many customers you can convince to purchase the service plans (the majority of customers do not like spending the extra money for the service plan and some HARSHLY and RUDELY reject them when you offer them).
-Some associates lied to customers and told them the service plans covered things that they actually didn't just to look more impressive to management.
-I worked at Front Lanes (cashier) and when it got really busy in the store management would place me in cameras, gaming, media, home theater, and computers when I WAS NOT TRAINED and had no knowledge of the all of products in those areas. I was even sent to GEEK SQUAD one time, tragic. Customers would get angry with me because I did not know about the products in the areas where I was placed ad it was not even my fault.
-We have to push customers to apply for the best Buy Credit Card and to buy GSBTP so much, DIRECT SALES SUCKS!!!! But it's how the company makes money....

Regardless of age, do not talk down to your younger associates or treat them inferiorly! Do not push associates to lie to sell service plans it is not right at all.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, MD

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Education is the best part of working at best buy

Cons

pressure, the store manager can be overwhelming

Communication, always make sure that your employees know whats going on

2. A Steady State Equation of Business Flow; A Constant Neutral?

Current Employee - PCHO Sales Associate in Astoria, NY
    Current Employee - PCHO Sales Associate in Astoria, NY

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working for Best Buy is a fun environment, talking with the customers and finding out their needs is a must to come across solutions for their products and their needs as customers. Everyone is different and pitching does not work on a consistent basis but, its best to evaluate your own ideas on the product, which customers do enjoy and would love to have feedback from the blue shirts themselves. I also enjoy working with most of my co-workers which understand the value of their position within the company. Growing with a company is a beautiful but, elegant elevation of skills and opening our minds to how a company is run is important. I for one am very glad I can experience such a world, it’s exciting and should be ever changing, and dynamically which will lead to more jobs available.

Cons

Depending on store location, it makes it almost impossible to communicate with customers for a long period of time and recommending is a must, Best Buy does train associates to be detail oriented but, the experience on the sales floor is the opposite to which is depicted in training in a busy environment such as the Best Buy in Long Island City; which can train you how to become better in handling concerns on a timely manner in a fast pace environment yet, it is also true that customers do not like to be rushed to a decision despite the traffic in the store. At times it can be difficult to be a bit less aggressive when it comes down to services on a product which at times can scare a customer away and have them neglect services altogether, especially a customer with a language barriers. I think the customer relations in this store can improve, and improving the customer relation can definitely improve company values and the customer experience. Which of course can lead to more jobs and of course what I seek, the next step; full-time. I am not an aggressive person, maybe which is why I haven't been chosen or noticed, a constant neutral but, I await my promotion.

My advice to management is very simple, sales associates need the one on one time with the customer for the customer to fully understand the great services Best Buy offers which in my eyes are a must when it comes down to computers in a general basis. Computers aren't the simplest piece of equipment, each is unique to specific uses and this is what the customer needs to know. The Tech Support is amazing, how Geek Squad can be a customer’s personal assistant to any computing device, many customers by pass the facts in busy stores because, it’s difficult to explain why computers would need such a service. Somehow Best Buy in Long Island City is achieving the numbers in services due to a great team including myself but, I think the store has more potential if the associates throughout the store dedicated themselves in those services and really embed those services in the devices which despite are going overseas can use Tech Support anywhere in the world. More services and hitting quota in every company can allow a company to expand and congratulate our associates with bonuses which I have yet to see. Associates; remember that the services are open to anyone, anywhere. Knowing computers is the number one sale point to the associates and e-learning do not cover every factor but, enough to get by. I would love to feel motivated to be a Best Buy employee but, I've been limited to a part-time position with a 36 hour work schedule and for what it may seem, no chance of making the Geek Squad because, I'm only needed at the PCHO Department. Despite my disappointment on my chances of making Best Buy a career, I have a supervisor that is clearly aware of my talent. I am determined to stay at Best Buy hoping someone can notice how much I love working with software and computers in general, and also hoping that Best Buy would look into the talents they have already working as associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy