Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Great start with an unfortunate ending

Former Employee - Computer Specialist in Rochester, NY
Former Employee - Computer Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Lively Work environment. Awesome product knowledge with excellent technicians (Geeksquad) Right on Hand.

Cons

High pressure sales for non-commissioned job. Management was very pushy about their numbers. Annual reviews were poorly conducted. Annual raise was very minimal ($.30). New hires were getting paid more than me (I started out making $8.50, annual raise put me to 8.80, new hires were making $9.00 and management wouldn't raise my pay so I left the company.

6180 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Great work/life balance. Job security is an issue.

Former Employee - Web Manager/Online Marketing in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Web Manager/Online Marketing in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the greatest pros of working at Bust Buy is it's Results Only Work Environment (referred to as ROWE). I'm not a morning person. My boss would rater work from 10p.m. to 2a.m., but we make it work. There's mutual trust that people will get things done in a timely manner at a time that works for the individual.

Cons

There seem to be layoffs every couple of years. It affects one personally to see him/her go and also affects one's workload without an increase in pay. Also, if one wants to see a big increase in pay, don't count on it at review time. You have to get promoted to get a substantial raise.

Push, push, push for more rewarding incentives for a job well done come review time.

Great in the beginning!

Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Home Theater Specialist in Conroe, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fairly flexible work schedule for students. There are a few good people with good attitudes and supervisors will often work with you with scheduling. Definitely a good place to keep up with technology.

Cons

Constant weekend trainings that are mandatory get really old really fast. A lot of opening shifts right after closing. Never a set schedule, its always changing. Tons of 4 hour shifts that are hardly worth driving from home if you live further away. Not to mention if you have a set availability they don't care. A whole lot of favoritism! Employee discount is almost non-existent now and so are the store bonuses. If you don't share the managements opinions then you better keep them to yourself!!

Stop the favoritism shift the focus back to the employee and this company might succeed.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy