There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Neutral

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

Can be a fun place to work, busy at times, some good training,

Cons

alot of pointless training, poor pay i got a raise once of 3/5 of a cent to bring me to litteraally 8.99.6

Advice to Management

A little bit of following the same rules that you preach to us would be nice

reviews filtered by
  1. Co-workers are great, management is sketchy

I have been working at Best Buy full-time

Pros

So far, Best Buy has been a good experience. Most of the sales floor associates are really good people and the hours for full time are good.

Cons

Unfortunately, this job, like most, underpay the laborers who actually do the footwork of bringing the revenue to the company. It is definitely not "what you know" but "who you know" when it come to moving up within the company.

Advice to Management

Just because you've met your numbers doesn't mean you can talk about golf all day and not do your job. Just because you have a degree does not make you more intelligent than others. Quit talking down to your employees and acting like you're better than they are.

It's Retail

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As far as the retail world goes, Best Buy is probably as good as it gets for employment. The products we work with are fun and there are rewards for hard work.

There's lots of opportunity for growth, but it's just like any other company in that you have to know how to play the politics game and know the right people. People like to complain like that's an issue exclusive to Best Buy, but I dare you to find a place where you don't have be somewhat good at workplace politics to advance. Best Buy, however, does have an ok system of checks and balances, as well as a very helpful HR dept, to help keep the politics under control to a certain extent.

The discount, while not as amazing as it used to be, is still pretty amazing and the best I've had from an employer. Plus, there's always opportunities to win prizes or gain points for hard work that can be used to order cool stuff (I've won a Samsung Galaxy Note, Otterbox and an Xbox 360 thus far in my career).

If you have good managers, they can make it a very fun environment to work in. Not every manager I've had has been a good one, but they don't last very long in Best Buy's culture.

Also, depending on your management and how involved they are, you can learn valuable stuff about business, such as networking, community involvement, organizing projects, communicating and teaching new concepts, etc.

Cons

It's retail. You have to deal with ignorant/angry people on a daily basis.

It's a big corporation. Your boss has a boss, who has a boss, who has a boss, etc. If one person at the top doesn't like something, it's going to keep trickling down until it gets to the line level employees in the store, then all the pressure will be on them.

It's a business. If you aren't making the company money (which is the whole point of being in business), then it's hard to convince them to keep you around or give you opportunities.

The amount of hours you get can fluctuate, sometimes drastically, if you're not a full time employee.

The pay seems somewhat low, compared to what others in different industries make, and the only time you get a significant raise is when you get a promotion.

These things are going to be almost universal throughout the retail industry. The sooner you come to terms with that, or find another industry, the happier you'll be.

Advice to Management

Whenever you try to start something new, please take the degree to which it will raise the difficulty of doing our job into greater consideration.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy