There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Customer Service Rep

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun crowd of people, easy and not to stressful of a job. This isn't a career type job so it's pretty laid back

Cons

This isn't a career type job, meaning there isn't much room for growth. People aren't expected to be "experts" in there area of sales so often times you can't get any real help when helping a costumer. Management is comprised of young adults that are more into "doing them" than coaching you.

5780 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Good job, bad career

Former Employee - Computer/Tablet Sales Specialist  in  Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Computer/Tablet Sales Specialist in Mankato, MN

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

I loved the people at Best Buy. My colleagues were for the most part, incredible to work with. The management was generally supportive, and I respected most of them as leaders. Bringing back the old discount is a great idea, even though I left for full time employment in a more corporate environment, the discount was almost enough to keep me around on the weekends.

Cons

There are a few things I have an issue with when it comes to Best Buy. I know everyone wants more pay, and that's something hard for Best Buy to do. For them to tell me the best they could do for an officer in the army, and a college graduate is part time at $8.50/hr...well that's a slap in the face. In fact, Best Buy places little to no value on education. My education helped me be successful, my sales numbers were really high, however in my four month stint with them, I was given no extra responsibility or chance to prove my self as a potential leader. It seams to me that Best Buy follows a pretty structured mode of promotion. Do your time, and you'll be given a chance to be a supervisor...do your time as a supervisor, and you could be a manager some day. That works well for kinds who started at Best Buy when they were 15-16. By the time an individual graduates from college, they have put in enough time to be successful. However being a 22 year old college graduate, it is much more limiting when you would need to wait until you're 27 to start seeing some success. Also, Best Buy's customer service focus is "providing customers with a world class experience." From my exposure to Best Buy, the customer is just a number. The more sales we can solicit them the better off we are. When a manager would hand off an interaction to me, they would say "I've got a big one for you here...". If you want to win the hearts and minds, you must shift your focus from making money, to winning customer support.

Focus on the customer. I understand it's a business, but with the state Best Buy is in...something has to change, and not just on paper. I understand treating all employees fairly is fine and dandy...but if you want to retain college graduates who are a positive attribute to your sales team...you have to give them some incentive to decide to stay with Best Buy.

Just an "Ok" place to work.

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Southaven, MS
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Southaven, MS

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

laid back environment, nice managers, most coworkers are cool, hours are flexible for the most part, pretty good discount

Cons

non management employees overstep their boundaries, training isn't the best, the pay sucks, benefits suck, spend too much time complaining about minor issues

The managers at the store are all great, the store associates are pretty cool too. It's just that some store associates are too power hungry. Training would have been more beneficial if veteran store associates helped mentor new associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!