Best Buy

  www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

 

Geek Squad Review

  • Comp & Benefits
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Senior Management
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company Culture that is about it.

Cons

Do not know where to begin.

Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
Disapproves of CEO

6317 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Sort: Rating Date
  1.  

    Good Job for 1st-time jobbers, minimal growth opportunities

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

    I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

    Pros

    The discount is probably the only true perk to working for Best Buy. After months of complaining, the corporate office decided to give the original discount to the employees.

    Cons

    There is basically no room for growth in this company unless you are a close friend to a superior. I have worked at 3 different stores in my 3 year span and have gone through 5 different GMs, only one of which had a great combination of people skills, common sense, and competence. Supervisors and management do not seem to be promoted for their skills or company contributions, which pretty much destroys the prestige. My previous 3 supervisors were very indolent and very bad with team leading; two of which were very good friends with the GM prior to the promotion, which pretty much keeps the people that are actually qualified in their same positions.

    Retail has wonky hours so the work-life balance is pretty much already a given and isn't really a con if you know what you are getting into. The only problem is the "must be available to work 3 weekend shifts." This means your schedule must be open to work close Friday, open or close shift Saturday, and open or close shift on Sunday, HOWEVER you HAVE TO WORK SUNDAY, which pretty mush null and voids any need to say you must work 3 weekend shifts.

    You are expected to sell like crazy. Best Buy is one of those companies that fits the sales person stereotype. They push us to pester customers because it gets them to spend more money. When in all actuality it works less than more. If someone has a deep question they will come to us, if we force it out of them most of the time they get annoyed.

    You are given a department, but you actually are only in that department 70% of the day, the other 30% you are being yelled at for not "engaging" customers or helping incompetent people in other departments.

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Train you subordinates, it will make your job easier.

    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    No opinion of CEO
  2.  

    Not robots anymore

    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

    I worked at Best Buy (more than 3 years)

    Pros

    Relatively good products so its nice to be part of the technology curve.

    Cons

    Scheduling was inconsistent. Wanted more hours.

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Script flexible sales pitch scripts and empower employees to go through them in manners that fit their sales preferences.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Work at Best Buy? Share Your Experiences

Best Buy

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.