Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Geek Squad Review

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company Culture that is about it.

Cons

Do not know where to begin.

6317 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Good Job for 1st-time jobbers, minimal growth opportunities

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is probably the only true perk to working for Best Buy. After months of complaining, the corporate office decided to give the original discount to the employees.

Cons

There is basically no room for growth in this company unless you are a close friend to a superior. I have worked at 3 different stores in my 3 year span and have gone through 5 different GMs, only one of which had a great combination of people skills, common sense, and competence. Supervisors and management do not seem to be promoted for their skills or company contributions, which pretty much destroys the prestige. My previous 3 supervisors were very indolent and very bad with team leading; two of which were very good friends with the GM prior to the promotion, which pretty much keeps the people that are actually qualified in their same positions.

Retail has wonky hours so the work-life balance is pretty much already a given and isn't really a con if you know what you are getting into. The only problem is the "must be available to work 3 weekend shifts." This means your schedule must be open to work close Friday, open or close shift Saturday, and open or close shift on Sunday, HOWEVER you HAVE TO WORK SUNDAY, which pretty mush null and voids any need to say you must work 3 weekend shifts.

You are expected to sell like crazy. Best Buy is one of those companies that fits the sales person stereotype. They push us to pester customers because it gets them to spend more money. When in all actuality it works less than more. If someone has a deep question they will come to us, if we force it out of them most of the time they get annoyed.

You are given a department, but you actually are only in that department 70% of the day, the other 30% you are being yelled at for not "engaging" customers or helping incompetent people in other departments.

Train you subordinates, it will make your job easier.

Not robots anymore

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Best Buy (more than 3 years)

Pros

Relatively good products so its nice to be part of the technology curve.

Cons

Scheduling was inconsistent. Wanted more hours.

Script flexible sales pitch scripts and empower employees to go through them in manners that fit their sales preferences.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy