There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Fun Environment, Good place to build sales experience, great flexibility.

Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
Former Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great chemistry with employees from top to bottom. Decent pay, but the discount is what gets most people, it will have all of your friends jealous. Great place to hone your sales skills, customer base is generally always looking to buy, and easily convincible due to the nature of major electronic retail. I worked in the Mobile department, which is one where you spend a longer duration with your customers, which I enjoy. Great flexibility.

Cons

Managers can over hype a quota, happens in every department which adds unneeded stress. HIgh sales expectations and quotas with no commission (team members do bonus based on store performance).

Advice to Management

Listen to employees more and let them express their own sales techniques.. don't always keep it as a cookie-cutter sales pitch. Promote from within more when applicable.

reviews filtered by
  1. Best Buy

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Best Buy (more than a year)

Pros

Typically there are good people to work with. The company values are good and the employee discount is a good incentive. Sometimes the people that are promoted are not really all that adept at the job they are promoted to.

Cons

The pay is not always stellar and the benefits have not been as great for health in recent years as previously. They had reduced the employee discount a good bit and reversed it to the better discount recently. I can see them reducing the discount again in the future as a cost cutting effort.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that they pay attention to turn over rate in a department as this indicates if there may be something wrong with the structure or the leadership.

It has been a good ride so far.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Valparaiso, IN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supervisors and direct managers are usually great people and care about the employees. Get to work with very cool products and that employee discount is pretty nice too. My supervisor is very flexible with my hours and always asks me to look at his rough draft schedule before he posts it to make sure it works for me. They have always been supportive of any sort of training I wanted to do and are also being very supportive now as I am trying to transfer stores since I am moving. They also reward on performance which is awesome. I am young to work there (19) but I work hard and because of that my management relies on my selling skills and and they treat me as an experienced salesman. My general manager goes out of his way every day to ask every employee how they are doing that day and if there's anything they need. I understand this isn't a company wide view but at my store, things are quite nice.

Cons

Customers..... you have good ones, and you have REALLY REALLY bad ones. You can also say goodbye to your holidays cause you'll spend the majority of them in the big blue box. I worked 20 hours on black friday.... that shouldn't even be legal. Poor product knowledge training, they mainly focus on selling skills.

Advice to Management

Better training on product knowledge and more rewarding pay. I think I should make a little more than $9 an hour when I sell thousands of dollars of product every single day.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy