There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Great place to work, advancement an option only for the truly motivated.

Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Coral Springs, FL
Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate in Coral Springs, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with in a great work environment. Almost everyone gets along and those who don't aren't around very long. Benefits available for part time including an excellent employee discount, medical and 401k.

Cons

Not enough full time hours available during the slow seasons. Must be willing to move around to different stores for advancement and can take a long time.

Accountability, there isn't enough at the store level.

5961 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is ridiculously good for some items; 5% above cost. Rocketfish and Dynex accessories are usually a good 90% off.

Cons

There is terrible communication among management. I would constantly get yelled at for doing something wrong when another manager told me to do it that way, and when I fixed my "mistake" another manager would get mad. I was hired as an autotech and they constantly scheduled me on the sales floor instead of with the autotech there, so I never got any training. Then they came down on me for not getting my e-learnings and MECP certification done. They eventually let me go after the christmas season, even though they said I would be kept on and trained as an autotech. The reason? They didn't like my demeanor with customers. I was more polite and respectful than any employee there. They messed up my time clock multiple times, and I had to talk to 5 managers to get my schedule fixed at one point, then they blamed it on me for not updating my availability. But they never told me I had to. The whole job was a big "how was I supposed to know that if you never told me" scenario. The other employees treated me like a kindergartner would treat the new kid. They would ignore me, insult me, tease me, and make me feel very unwelcome. I felt like they were all a big gang and they all were too cool for me. They also skimped me on a large raise because I was "seasonal" I should have gotten a raise a month into working there since I became bestbuy certified. Overall it was a nightmare. There was such bad communication that when I went in to get my final paycheck, nobody knew I had been let go, or cared, and some people didn't even know I ever worked there. You'd think with every manager having a "walkie" on them, they'd have better communication, but what it really was was a big gang of frat-boys who thought they were better than everyone else, including customers. I don't even shop there because of their cocky attitudes.

Put those "walkies" to use by actually communicating important details with your employees, especially new hires. Your employee shouldn't have to talk to 5 managers just to get their schedule fixed. Your employees shouldn't be confused as to what they are supposed to do, and management shouldn't punish them for not knowing policies they were never taught. There's a difference between being independent and finding things out for yourself, and being expected to read minds and know things you were never taught. Also, stop cheating the system by hiring 80 part time employees instead of 20 full time employees. We all know you do it so you can avoid having to pay them full benefits, not because you want to offer a "flexible schedule" to employees. When your supervisors and assistant managers can't even get full time, you are doing something wrong. BestBuy might be struggling and almost going out of business because of online shopping, but you will absolutely ensure your demise as a company if you keep up this god awful management.

Fire you without telling you

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun first time job
    Good if you need to quickly buy something and it's the only thing close by

Cons

I was layed off without being told. After not being scheduled for 3 weeks, I discovered my employee account was deactivated and that I am no longer working for them. No one contacted me, instead, I had to contact them.

Hardly any business nowadays, everything i brought online or at stores offering cheaper prices.

Contact your employees