Best Buy

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Great place to work

Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in York, PA
Current Employee - Best Buy Sales Associate in York, PA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great managers. Work as a team. Not your 9-5 in a cubicle. Day goes very fast.

Cons

Hours not consistent for part time employees.

Consistent hours for part-time employees.

6317 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Fire you without telling you

Former Employee - Sales Consultant
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun first time job
    Good if you need to quickly buy something and it's the only thing close by

Cons

I was layed off without being told. After not being scheduled for 3 weeks, I discovered my employee account was deactivated and that I am no longer working for them. No one contacted me, instead, I had to contact them.

Hardly any business nowadays, everything i brought online or at stores offering cheaper prices.

Contact your employees

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Autotech in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employee discount is ridiculously good for some items; 5% above cost. Rocketfish and Dynex accessories are usually a good 90% off.

Cons

There is terrible communication among management. I would constantly get yelled at for doing something wrong when another manager told me to do it that way, and when I fixed my "mistake" another manager would get mad. I was hired as an autotech and they constantly scheduled me on the sales floor instead of with the autotech there, so I never got any training. Then they came down on me for not getting my e-learnings and MECP certification done. They eventually let me go after the christmas season, even though they said I would be kept on and trained as an autotech. The reason? They didn't like my demeanor with customers. I was more polite and respectful than any employee there. They messed up my time clock multiple times, and I had to talk to 5 managers to get my schedule fixed at one point, then they blamed it on me for not updating my availability. But they never told me I had to. The whole job was a big "how was I supposed to know that if you never told me" scenario. The other employees treated me like a kindergartner would treat the new kid. They would ignore me, insult me, tease me, and make me feel very unwelcome. I felt like they were all a big gang and they all were too cool for me. They also skimped me on a large raise because I was "seasonal" I should have gotten a raise a month into working there since I became bestbuy certified. Overall it was a nightmare. There was such bad communication that when I went in to get my final paycheck, nobody knew I had been let go, or cared, and some people didn't even know I ever worked there. You'd think with every manager having a "walkie" on them, they'd have better communication, but what it really was was a big gang of frat-boys who thought they were better than everyone else, including customers. I don't even shop there because of their cocky attitudes.

Put those "walkies" to use by actually communicating important details with your employees, especially new hires. Your employee shouldn't have to talk to 5 managers just to get their schedule fixed. Your employees shouldn't be confused as to what they are supposed to do, and management shouldn't punish them for not knowing policies they were never taught. There's a difference between being independent and finding things out for yourself, and being expected to read minds and know things you were never taught. Also, stop cheating the system by hiring 80 part time employees instead of 20 full time employees. We all know you do it so you can avoid having to pay them full benefits, not because you want to offer a "flexible schedule" to employees. When your supervisors and assistant managers can't even get full time, you are doing something wrong. BestBuy might be struggling and almost going out of business because of online shopping, but you will absolutely ensure your demise as a company if you keep up this god awful management.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy