There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

great place to work

Current Employee - Analyst in Richfield, MN
Current Employee - Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

best buy has a great work culture

Cons

like everyone else we are doing more with less

5981 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Overall, my experience was good.

Former Employee - Mobile
    Former Employee - Mobile

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned so much about technology from my coworkers, Best Buy likes to hire associated with strong outside interests such as web design, photography, gaming, and everything in between. I loved working for a company that hired people who had a true interest in keeping up with the latest trends in technology.

Cons

Towards the end of my employment (my store was closed, I didn't get fired) there were some unfavorable changes in the structure of the store. We had to carry a personal binder around with us all day that had my first and last name on it and that was a privacy issue for me, I didn't want customers knowing my last name. Also, before I could clock off I had to have a mini meeting with a manager (any manager, not only my own) about my daily performance. It was ridiculous, most managers outside of my department didn't even know how to look up my sales goals and tracking because my department used a different system than theirs. Waste of time.

I would put an end to the micromanaging and please separate Geek Squad from Customer Service! Customers are waiting way too long in lines because of this merger.

Not Bad for Retail

Former Employee - Lead Compters Specialist, Portable Electronics Specialist in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The payrate is decent. Not enough to completely live off of where I worked, but well above what other electronics stores offer. The employee discount is also really nice; most places won't top it. You also tend to be recognized for your hard work and commitment.

Cons

It's retail, so it comes with rude, entitled customers, long hours on your feet, questionable management choices, and lazy coworkers. Also, you're encouraged to push protection plans aggressively, and although you're not paid on commission, your performance will be judged based off of how many plans you sell a month. It encourages underhanded tactics and suspicion among customers, which strains customer loyalty.

Push more customer loyalty and understand, not so much on services that are grossly unpopular among everyone except the grossly uneducated.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy