There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

good, stressful

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Milpitas, CA
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Milpitas, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (less than a year)

Pros

discounts that you get off best buy products

Cons

not enough coaching should be more development

help out

reviews filtered by
  1. Run

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, TN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I got to talk to customers about things I'm interested in.
    Sometimes had cookouts and played games.

Cons

Managers are all rude. Every single one of them. They don't know how to lead or communicate. Very condescending and they don't know how to do anything that they ask you to do. Always a mixed message. One day you're not allowed to do something and then the next day they're coming down on you for the very thing they told you not to do. More interested in numbers than sales associates or customers. Definitely no room for advancement. They make a lot of promises but there is always a catch to it. Working there gave me the hives.

2. In my four years at Best Buy I have had and seen varying experiences within the company, the most memorable are negative

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Deputy of Counter Intelligence (DCI) in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities.

Somewhat flexible in terms of hours.

Good job security. Although turnover rate is roughly 50% and you will get violations if you're over 4 minutes late toward your termination.

Discount is very nice.

Cons

Underpaid.. there will come a point where your knowledge and work load is not industry equivalent and they use bonus gimmicks and other incentives such as more hours for the better sales people.

No commission..

It is easier to get a higher paying job elsewhere than to get a raise or advance in the company.

Unrealistic expectations set by in-house management.

Invest in your human capital... pay people appropriate wages... I am a tech making 13 dollars an hour... with four years of work experience and I am capped at a possible 15 which my GM says I wont hit for years.... seeing executives and board members receive million dollar bonuses when the company isn't even performing while the line level people get short changed isn't very motivating.. especially when I am making slightly more than minimum wage vs. inflation with an advanced skillset....

Numerous times I have seen people with great skills, sales people, managers, and techs leave this company for better paying jobs... attract skilled labor that is invested in the wellfare of your company and you will do well (eg. CostCo) and CostCo workers aren't as skilled as our people and they average near double...

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy