Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

It's a great place to work if you are willing to work for it.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are opportunities to grow and lots learn in many different areas. This company offers a lot of flexibility for moving up and around through various locations and many positions. Best Buy can be a wonderful place to work especially with all the new technology that comes together in one building.

Cons

It's a pretty normal retail environment, but the down side of being non commissioned means that wether its a big sale or a small sale no one makes an extra dime past to hours put in. Pay cap is a bit low but by no means the worst out there.

Just keep in mind that the associates on the floor are the true face of the company and their development will be the best path to success. Don't follow the path of other retailers, and by this I mean focus on your associates as the investment they are. Best Buy has some incredible people within it's walls and that is the reason for the companies resilience in the face of everything. Please never forget that and don't try to make a come back by bleeding out the "overhead" of labor, we are what make it happen for you every day. One person can not operate an entire sales floor nor can they know everything about every area.

6308 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

No way to move up

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best parts of the job is your co-workers, and that is only if you have a good group that mesh together well. I have been to a store where everyone is like family, and then another where there are a bunch of little clicks. A lot of highschool/college kids so expect everyone to be sleeping together with much drama at times.

The discount is alright on some things, but then is non existent on others. Expect to see a lot of Dynex items in the house/apartment of a Best Buy employee

A lot of companies do accommodations that give you HEAVY discounts on their items, if you are willing to put in the work to do e-learnings and get a lot of product knowledge you can easily win products that can cost over 200 dollars. I have won A LOT through Best Buy, so for that I am grateful.

Cons

The pay is above average compared to other retail jobs but even getting a good raise every year you are still not able to make enough to support yourself, even after breaking your back to learn everything you can. Then, when new hires come in they are automatically making more money than you, which makes it EXTREMELY frustrating to do your job efficiently knowing that they hire Joe Smo off the street that doesn't know anything and are paying them more than you.

Moving along with that same feel as above the ratio of competent to incompetent employees is crazy. 1 competent for every 10 incompetent, and this is including management. I have worked at multiple stores and it is all the same. When you know more than the managers do, and the only way to get to be a supervisor or manager is to either be related to someone high up or sleep with someone, it again hampers your ability to do your job.

Let's not get started on the "keep it in the family" mentality of Best Buy. One store I was at had a family where 2 cousins were managers, another brother was a supervisor and another cousin mixed in. Then the one persons girlfriend was getting promoted to supervisor as well. It's crazy and ridiculous how this can happen IN THE SAME STORE and no one up the ladder says anything?? Not to mention any person that gets a supervisor or manager spot gets content and just stays there... forever. One person is a supervisor for 7 years. There is no ambition to train anyone to move up in the company, and they instead continue to cut higher up positions which makes it incredibly hard to get anywhere within the company.

Going with the above there is a lot of favoritism, I'm sure thats the same at any job, but it can make work life extremely difficult. Luckily, I have not had any issues with anyone since working for Best Buy but I've watched managers find ways to fire people that are unjust, I've watched people get bonuses and raises that did not deserve them, and I've watched people (myself including) go for higher positions or full time positions and get rejected for someone that doesn't know ANYTHING about their job.

All in all the company is mediocre at best, and even though the stocks are rising I feel as though the company morale is at an all time low. I have learned so much about what I don't want in a job that it made finding my new job easy.

have a clear path employees can follow to get higher up, give everyone an equal opportunity to move up within the company

When it was good it was good.

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent Senior (CIA Senior ) in Daytona Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent Senior (CIA Senior ) in Daytona Beach, FL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount and 401k matching

Cons

Upper management needs to all be replaced, too much good old boy action going on.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy