There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Great Company, Hard to get fulltime.

Current Employee - Lead Sales in Hyannis, MA
Current Employee - Lead Sales in Hyannis, MA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, people and discount.

Cons

Work too hard to not be full-time, non-commission, little to no individual incentive

Check-in with employees more often

5961 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

terminated employees for being paid to much

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

associate discount, there is really not much else... the schedule is not flexible because of the computer automated assignments, which we only would change for no definable reason.... if we liked you as management you got it, if we didnt we harassed you

Cons

work life balance, paid your own uniform bill, horrible management sales pressure, warrenty fraud, bundle fraud, un-ethical, term employees for making to much money, told to write bad reviews for associate earning over $12 an hour

No way to move up

Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Multi Channel Sales Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the best parts of the job is your co-workers, and that is only if you have a good group that mesh together well. I have been to a store where everyone is like family, and then another where there are a bunch of little clicks. A lot of highschool/college kids so expect everyone to be sleeping together with much drama at times.

The discount is alright on some things, but then is non existent on others. Expect to see a lot of Dynex items in the house/apartment of a Best Buy employee

A lot of companies do accommodations that give you HEAVY discounts on their items, if you are willing to put in the work to do e-learnings and get a lot of product knowledge you can easily win products that can cost over 200 dollars. I have won A LOT through Best Buy, so for that I am grateful.

Cons

The pay is above average compared to other retail jobs but even getting a good raise every year you are still not able to make enough to support yourself, even after breaking your back to learn everything you can. Then, when new hires come in they are automatically making more money than you, which makes it EXTREMELY frustrating to do your job efficiently knowing that they hire Joe Smo off the street that doesn't know anything and are paying them more than you.

Moving along with that same feel as above the ratio of competent to incompetent employees is crazy. 1 competent for every 10 incompetent, and this is including management. I have worked at multiple stores and it is all the same. When you know more than the managers do, and the only way to get to be a supervisor or manager is to either be related to someone high up or sleep with someone, it again hampers your ability to do your job.

Let's not get started on the "keep it in the family" mentality of Best Buy. One store I was at had a family where 2 cousins were managers, another brother was a supervisor and another cousin mixed in. Then the one persons girlfriend was getting promoted to supervisor as well. It's crazy and ridiculous how this can happen IN THE SAME STORE and no one up the ladder says anything?? Not to mention any person that gets a supervisor or manager spot gets content and just stays there... forever. One person is a supervisor for 7 years. There is no ambition to train anyone to move up in the company, and they instead continue to cut higher up positions which makes it incredibly hard to get anywhere within the company.

Going with the above there is a lot of favoritism, I'm sure thats the same at any job, but it can make work life extremely difficult. Luckily, I have not had any issues with anyone since working for Best Buy but I've watched managers find ways to fire people that are unjust, I've watched people get bonuses and raises that did not deserve them, and I've watched people (myself including) go for higher positions or full time positions and get rejected for someone that doesn't know ANYTHING about their job.

All in all the company is mediocre at best, and even though the stocks are rising I feel as though the company morale is at an all time low. I have learned so much about what I don't want in a job that it made finding my new job easy.

have a clear path employees can follow to get higher up, give everyone an equal opportunity to move up within the company

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy