There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Easy job but bad managment

Former Employee - Sales Transaction Assistant  in  Dayton, OH
Former Employee - Sales Transaction Assistant in Dayton, OH

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good coworkers, decent hours, good discounts

Cons

Bad management, immature staff, poor values.

Focus more on sales instead of drama of employees.

5744 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

If only Best Buy could do Undercover Boss...

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Amazing employee discount, depending upon what you're buying and when
    - You get to work with some really genuine and good-hearted people
    - If you ask lots of questions from your co-workers or listen in on conversations with customer, you will definitely learn a lot.
    - The company is growing, so there's good job security and bonuses to come

In regards to the Cons down below: Take what I say with a grain of salt. Larger stores have MUCH better work environments. The community store operation model is very bizarre and leads to a high turnover rate. If you are lucky enough to find a good Best Buy, hang on for dear life, because the perks are definitely worth it for a first or second job. And the experiences you gain here will help you get other jobs in the future.

Cons

This list could go on forever, but I will attempt to make it concise:

- Customers -
         Depending upon your location, customers have the tendency to be rude, entitled, and just flat out mean for no reason. Mostly, they are upset with the company and not you. Sadly, you just happen to be the only breathing human being willing to put up with it for your paycheck.

- Surrounded by hypocrisy -
         Managers will beat the 5 customer promises down your throat. One promise is to offer "the latest devices and services in one place." Sure, we have the latest Surface 2 and the Chromecast in stock, but you get the pleasure of working with registers and programs that were obsolete 12 years ago.
         You will learn to cringe at the word OMS, and wonder how long you can go before it crashes and you have to shut down that register to undergo another re-imaging, which does absolutely nothing. It's all Best Buy can 'afford' to do, since it would be too expensive to upgrade everything. Sadly, OMS seems to be programmed to suddenly stop working when trying to set up any large sale... and management still wonders why we don't have amazing numbers every day.

- Unrealistic expectations -
         Branded Payments. You are expected to sell a certain amount of store brand credit cards every day and have monthly goals. The funny thing is, it doesn't matter if you are the best sales person out there, a new hire, or just a complete slacker. This has NO BEARING whatsoever on how many you will end up getting. You can get points from management for completing your goals, but again this leads to the next point...

- Recognition is random and subjective, except when you make the company money -
         You can get points towards store credit for performing certain tasks such as meeting geek squad or credit card goals, or getting a good review (ONLY from the company website surveys, god forbid a customer actually takes a manager aside to make a heartfelt compliment).
         Sales people regularly get bonuses and store credit because they have quantifiable sales goals, so does management. However, sales support associates like Warehouse and Loss Prevention have no goals, and thus rarely if never get points for their work. Ironically, they tend to work the hardest trying to compensate for the mistakes made during the course of a day by the over-pressured sales staff, and get recognized the least.

- Lack of training:
         Customers, please be a little nicer to the workers in white shirts. New hires are subjected to hours upon hours of online e-learnings and then expected to perform their job duties with little or no practical training. Depending upon your location, you will need to be VERY proactive with your training. Managers will blame you for what they have failed to teach you.

- Raises are rarely given out:
         Some people have been working there for three years and make two dollars less/hour than new employees. The only reason I got a raise was because we were finally allowed to discuss wages and I found out my part time new hires were making more than me at full time.

- Over pressured management -
       In the end, it is not the store-level management that is to blame for all this. Their bonuses and employment status directly hinges upon how their subordinates perform, juggling unrealistic sales goals and poorly-functioning tools. Since corporate seems to be forever unapproachable, the people who must take the grunt of the complaints are the store level managers. This creates stress and a trickle-down effect takes place where no one is happy.

To (Corporate) Management:

I get the sense that you have not stepped outside your office for the past 15 years. If you did, you might gain the slightest insight in to why your turnover rate is so high, and how you can quadruple your profits by paying your employees more, and investing some of your abundant margin into fixing up your ancient store technology.

Best buy, could be Better

Former Employee - Delivery Driver  in  Salisbury, MD
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Salisbury, MD

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good discounts when i was there there was a employee website dedicated to shopping , clean, good benefits and incentives.

Cons

Knowledge about the products or Great customer service isn't followed up in real conditions past online testing. Management isn't picked by their knowledge or customer service but favoritism in most cases

Please listen to your Employees and update the methods of delivering customer service. I wold still be with the company today, if it weren't for a few uninformed/ inept upper management botching my Transfer to another location.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!