Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

A good place for skill building not so much of a career

Current Employee - Home Business Sales Associate
Current Employee - Home Business Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

On the job skills learned are worth while

Cons

Could have better support for employees

Don't let managers let personal feelings affect work hours for employees

6330 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Molbile Sales

Current Employee - Mobile Sales in Longview, TX
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales in Longview, TX

I have been working at Best Buy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

BEAST was a faster system, handled more carriers but lacked some crucial upgrades; still, much faster system overall

Cons

Employees knew phones they either owned or sold the most; I never witnessed any hands on training with any other phones. "I don't know" was an acceptable answer to give to customers. Never seen so many customers turned away w/o guidance on what to do next/managers not contacted for help-ex.its a 800 # to change/switch numbers. Customers can do this at home but associates should/could do it in store. No one I worked with knew this was possible or cared for that matter. Cheapter and faster, yes, but emplyees clearly trained on BEAST only. Saw employee for for the upsell maybe 1 out of every 15 times. Seems they were more excited about checking out random people for those numbers and not adding on to that phone sale. cases, mophies, headphones, screen protectors?! They just sold that phone and were done. Afton 9 months with Verizon I had seen my fair share of angry best buy customers that I assure you will never see again. Although its convenient to sent them off to the corporate store when something isn't right to them, what could have been a 10 minute heated conversation ends up being a lost best buy phone customer forever. They woiuld leave not feeling Verizon did them wrong but best buy bd even though they were told the insurance is different, of course they didn't listen and instead of the 20 year olds giving them the time of day to explain it nicely, or just deal with them at all, they send them over to the corp store and the first sign of stress. I've done retail a lot of places with a lot of people and I went in understanding the feeling that new people on your turf when you're already busy could be annoying. I could have picked up the system if the click had decided I was ready to get off hosting more than once or twice during my time there.

Management? Who? Those 20yearolds you left me with who delighted in seeing their forced trainees not look good? They could run beast ok but had attitudes I would have been slapped for 10 years ago. No effort to go above&beyond ever seen-in fact many customers were tossed back and forth from geek squad and argued about who got them in FRONT of the customer. Product knowledge was subpar; the scheduling system was insane. I was hired and told to use my google calendar which apparently changes at will. The one nice girl that helped me finally told me there was a website too. If the deal is to hire part time people and promise them part time hours, your system failed you greatly and slowed down any progress I'm sure all trainees ran into. I'd work a shift or two, start to get the hang of it and then be off for 6 days.In general people were nice around the store but even they knew that mobile click was snobby. Very unprofessional; especially for people who really don't sell phones, they take phone orders. There is a huge difference. I hardly heard anything about cases or mophies - smart phones touch everything in that store, there is no excuse for a customer to walk out with a naked phone - especially since you leave the upgrade fees for the carrier to charge.. smart move; but not if it's not capitalized on. Also, why not stock cases for other phones you sell? None of the droid/LG cases were available. Make returns more personal and watch your rate reduce.

The job is great but the pay sucks

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

The discount
    Family atmosphere
    Employee camaraderie
    Fun place to work

Cons

Only during the holiday season do you get a reasonable amount of hours. Right after the new year it is back to 12-17 hrs a week. How do you expect people to live off of low pay and less than part time hours?

Pay employees a fraction of how much we make for this company and there wouldn't be such a high turnover rate. I got 35 credit applications out last month which made the company $1225 and didn't even get any verbal recognition. When I pointed it out to the manager it was only then that he said great job, if you get two today you will get a $5 giftcard for lunch! Thats it?!

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy