Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

High-energy environment, great fit for someone looking for new challenges on a regular basis.

Former Employee - Corporate Director in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Corporate Director in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Entreprenurial spirit was always in play. The size of the organization made it possible to explore and learn a great deal about other business units, which could often times lead to the next job/role.

Cons

Clear cut decision making was a challenge. Too many leaders throughout the organization had "veto" cards that could sneak up on projects that had been previously approved, or were already underway.

Pick fewer priorities and invest in them long enough to unlock the value you sought from the start. Make decisions faster.

6319 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

In for the Long Haul...

Current Employee - Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Analyst in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and fun work culture.

Cons

People want you to use your discount for them.

ROWE wasn't why we were failing & getting rid of it isn't why we're succeeding. Please consider bringing ROWE back as I hate the feeling I'm being spied upon and I'm not as productive as I used to be with ROWE.

Project Team is a pretty great job for single people out of college.

Current Employee - Project Team Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Project Team Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get good hours when the projects are up and running which is usually February-November. Mostly around 40 hours or more. Traveling is a great addition, your hotels, rental cars, plane tickets, all paid for. $35 a day for per diem, possibly more if you travel to a more expensive area i.e. Hawaii, New York City etc. Work isn't so bad, easy to learn, just takes time to get experience with everything. You do get monthly bonuses every once in awhile, but its usually only $100-200.

Cons

December-January there is literally no work to do so you mope around stores doing "go back" work (tying up lose ends from projects throughout the year) and limited to 32 hours a week unless you can temp transfer to another part of the company.

Biggest con has to be working overnight. It just sucks and kinda ruins your ability to function as a social adult. It's passable if you are single, but as someone who is married, working overnight and traveling on a consistent basis has forced me to look for employment elsewhere.

No room to move up. Theres a huge log jam for promotions as everyone has been around for awhile and is qualified for a promotion, however whenever someone leaves the company they eliminate the position instead of filling it.

Stop eliminating positions when people quit. Find something better for people to do during December-January.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy