There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Manager

Former Employee - Corporate Manager in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Corporate Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large Fortune 100 company that is working to continue to enhance bottom line. They see value of employees at all levels.

Cons

Intense work hours require sacrifice, but the of people you work with are amazing.

Even though the environment is difficult, continue to understand the importance of work-life balance. Understand the value of your employees that have vast, essential knowledge.

reviews filtered by

Good Company with Growth Pains

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has been a good job to grow people skills and if you are full time, they offer good benefits such as some tuition reimbursement. I really enjoy the employee discount as well.

Cons

Working in the Geek Squad department, there is inadequate training and it can be frustrating with fair to poor employee discipline and in my opinion a bit of disrespect to the roles of Geek Squad agents when most of management only see making a sale more important than repairing computers and other mobile electronics. This shows when busy employees in Geek Squad are pulled or hours are very short handed compared to the amount of traffic and work that is there.

If you are looking to gain experience as an employee apart of a big chain store and can handle some growing pains to get there, this is a good company to grow and receive a good employee discount with full time benefits.

It was great at first but that was because I got hired around the holidays.

Current Employee - Sales Support/Inventory
    Current Employee - Sales Support/Inventory

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is actually pretty decent. Right around $10/hr.
    For me at least, working in the warehouse is almost kind of separate from the rest of the store. You are definitely under-appreciated but that only seems to build camaraderie with the rest of the people in the warehouse. It's kind of nice.
    During the holiday period, you can get pretty much as many hours as possible, as long as you don't go into overtime. Even so, you have to go into overtime because there is just so much work to do.
    Once you finally get in, the computer system is pretty decent. It's a great portal for employees. You can search for how much discount you get on products, learn about new products and get entered for prizes just for doing e-learnings.

Cons

It can be a very physical job. I knew that coming in and I'm fine with it but it can take a lot out of you. Some things you do on any given day: wrap an open-box TV (which means covering it with bubble wrap and then wrapping in clear wrap...which isn't the most fun when it's a 50 inch tv and you have no help), loading TV's and appliances into customers cars, which can be tricky, depending on the car. You are basically on your feet the whole day, minus your lunch and if you take a your 15.
    This one may not apply to every location but I know that my manager plays favorites. I have a great supervisor, she's very caring and compassionate but she doesn't create the schedules. Our manager does and well, it doesn't always work for the best. For example, in our warehouse, we have two full-time workers, these guys are guaranteed at least 32 hours each week. The rest of us are only guaranteed four hours. Now, I understand that after the holidays, labor hours are cut and I'm completely fine with that. But when one part-timer gets consistent 30-40 hour weeks and other people, such as myself, get between 5 and 12 hours, it's kind of odd. The hours should be spread out among all the employees as evenly as possible, it's only fair. I am the newest one there but it still doesn't justify a PART-TIMER getting 40 hours and me getting five. Managers clearly play favorites, if you kiss up to them, it works wonders.
    It's very tough for any advancement if you work in the warehouse. At lot of the guys I work with don't want to advance and are totally cool with staying back here. But if you want to move up, starting in the warehouse is not the best bet.

Distribute hours evenly. Highlight the efforts of the Sales Support Team (i.e.: warehouse) more often.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy