Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
  www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Good place to work, basic wage

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

If you are good at your job you are usually given a free ability to pursue your job under your own discretion. You need to work hard at the Bellingham location or people will definitely hound you. It is a fairly competitive culture, as with any sales based environment. The benefits are quite good even for part-time employees.

Cons

There are a few occasions of micro-management. Not many opportunities for advancement or for skill building.

Don't underestimate the value of honesty and respect to the people that you manage. However many people that you believe you have fooled into failing to see through your fake character, subtract about 50% of that to get the true number.

6168 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Not bad to work during highschool

Former Employee - Computer Specialist in Scranton, PA
    Former Employee - Computer Specialist in Scranton, PA

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

-Excellent employee discount
    - Ability to work with computers
    - Some of the people were fun to work with
    - If done well, customers will look for you

Cons

-only told when your job performance is poor
    - I had a hard time selling products customers didn't need. Why would a 65 year old lady need to buy a $200 service plan which costs half of the price of the computer?
    - Management (usually mid) wanted you to sell services (which is understandable) to EVERYONE... I don't know about other people, but when someone tries to shove service plans down my throat, I tend to not go back to that salesperson/company...

Better training options... shoving me in front of a monitor to click through slides that don't pertain to how to sell products to customers does not help.

Ask about the the store's culture!!!

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Solutions Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The company has a great foundation!!!
    Great for individuals who enjoy a fast-paced environment
    This is a competition driven company.
    Great CEO!!!!

Cons

Say goodbye to your weekends!!
    If you happen to work for the wrong general manager, the culture of the store (if bad) will not change.
    Long hours...... Scheduled 10 hour work days but the amount of time to complete all work projects requires you to work 12 hour days and days off. Meetings and conference calls often scheduled on your time off.
    Micro-managing has become the latest flavor.
    Op Model constantly changing!!!

Performance Manage the general managers. There is definately something wrong when one store has all the promotions and the next store has all the turnover!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy