There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Can be Great

Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Oswego, IL
Current Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Oswego, IL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very fun atmosphere
Get very detailed good training
Learn a lot about selling and communication

Cons

Managers make it feel commission orientated
Most managers yell a lot when having a slow day
Very low salary pay

Pay employees more and motivate them to sell yelling does not make us happy to sell
Keep employees actively involved by training when slow not yelling

5981 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Thought it would be a career I could really grow with!

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Manager in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Manager in McKinney, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

During my earlier years working for Best Buy, I enjoyed the store and district management and the culture that cultivated which was and is supposed to still be "have fun while being the best". I launched Best Buy Mobile as a manager in 2008 and had an amazing time as a first-time retail manager-growing a team, developing through challenges and working alongside a district staff that acted like they really cared about what was happening on a line-level.

Cons

After Hubert Joly took the helm, a possibly a little before, there were a string of company reconstructions but mostly before we had been growing and changing for the positive. Things had been new and mostly positive in the culture of Best Buy. After, it seemed like there was so much more militant focus on paperwork and a culture of punishment. New ideas were squashed. Where we had once felt connected to our district staff it now felt like it was like trying to get a hold of the great and powerful Oz. It ended with my store closure at the end of 2013 and a lot of good people lost their jobs-many, like myself, who had been with the company a long time. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Best Buy used to do some wonderful things. Look back at what you were doing around 2007-2009 or prior and you might can get back on track. Also, get back to knowing your line-level and mid-management employees. They are who actually run the company.

Great company to work for... expect to get overworked for little pay

Current Employee - Geek Squad Operations Agent
    Current Employee - Geek Squad Operations Agent

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment to be in, co workers were always fun to talk to. Discount is very nice. Being able to stay on top of a lot of new technology that's coming out is always a plus. They have always worked with my school schedule.

Cons

When Geek Squad went through all of the role changes it made my job 10x more difficult because not only do I have to call client's for computer pickups, junk out reports, shipping & receiving, consulting with client's over repair work... on top of that I have to stand at the counter because there is nobody that can greet customers when our consultation agents are busy... it really hinders my job and doesn't give me enough time during my shift to get all of my job responsibilities out of the way. Compensation was always an issue, was there for 6 years and overall only earned 3 dollars more than what I made to start out with. Managers will often not give the customer a great experience and I have worked at three different locations, it's all the same. Lots of micromanaging. Hard to progress in ranks through the company. Part time does not get any benefits really, only get them when you are full time (insurance, sick time, vacation)

It's difficult to move any where in the company and not everyone is going to be with Best Buy forever, I wish that the managers during review time would actually talk to their employees about what they wanted out of this company. Some people want experience and training and sometimes that isn't given to them when a person could really benefit from it. I would of liked to have Geek Squad agents to be TRAINED in how to repair computers and quickly diagnose problems rather than be thrown into situations, monthly trainings with Advanced Repair Agents would go a LONG way and alleviate a lot of customer complaints about lack of knowledge. If your employees are knowledgeable then they will be MORE comfortable talking to clients knowing what they know.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy