There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Fun job for those passionate about technology!

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Lead in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Lead in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, AWESOME employee discount, great possible short term and long term incentives.

Cons

Occasional rude customers but that is just retail in general, slight zoning issues sometimes, retail hours.

Advice to Management

Understand zoning issues.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Stressful. Pressure is insane since company is doing so poorly. Favoritism. Unstable.

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-workers, team work, benefits, discount, training.

Cons

Work-life balance non-existent. Mandatory conference calls or meetings on your day off- mostly decided on the last minute. Reducing staff.

2. Best Buy (for young ones)

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are young, this has been historically a good job. Instead of flipping burgers or folding tacos, you get sales experience and product knowledge that is, for the most part, pretty cool. Unless you are stuck selling appliances etc. Not being on commission has its drawbacks but you don't get the pressure and grossness associated with commission-based stores.

Cons

You definitely have to fight for a raise. You'll never get it if you don't ask. No commission means less opportunities to make more. For me getting full-time as super difficult. They purposely kept me (and lots of others) just under full-time, obviously to save $ on benefits. Like anywhere a good manager can make it a pleasant work environment, whilst a poor one can just make going to work here miserable. Finally, the Best Buy of old is over. They are downsizing and making their stores smaller as online purchases are king now. This makes the field for young workers much more competitive. Kind of a shame.

Advice to Management

Seriously look to reward hard-working employees with something that matters. It might actually be the thing to turn around their work ethic. I remember we worked like mad one holiday season for a manager. We all got free pizza at the end of the night. Not a big deal but it was nice. After doing this again for the next manager, we were rewarded with "a homemade meal". We walked into the break room to find grilled cheese and tomato soup. I think just about everyone just left as we knew most of us could go home and make a far superior dinner.