Started out fun in the beginning...

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than a year

Pros

I started off as an ARA ( Advanced Repair Agent)for Geek Squad and began fixing everything from laptops to phones. Virus removals, complete tear downs of laptops to replace HDDs deep inside of mostly Dells... The occasional iPhone and laptop screen replacement.. Anything and everything except build the computer I did it.

Cons

HOURS. (It's retail, so it shifts everyday) I went in being promised 40hours a week, but the most I'd ever get was 35 being full time. No appreciation, no help from management. The Consultant Agents (CA) don't know much about computers and will check in anything for any reason to make the sale of tech support for ($199 a year) Sometimes they are told to sell as much as possible for any reason to make the day's quota. I have seen many people conned out of their hard earned money when if the CA would have known what they were doing could have easily fixed it for them and charged a $29 client education fee. Instead the company and management want their money, so they'd rather take more of the customer's dough. I've fixed countless "rush my repair" computers where the client is charged an extra $100 to get their computer back in 24 hours in 3-4 hours. Simple stuff, that may come easy to somewhat who knows what they're doing still shouldn't cost a customer that much money. Geek Squad is a rip off & their tech support is immediately shoved down your throat when you bring in a computer that has minimal problems.

Treat your employees right and remember without them there is no YOU. Schedule hours correctly, and don't have your employees stay until 10pm closing and then have them show up at 7am the next day.

Other Reviews for Best Buy

Good Luck Finding A Good Fit

Former Employee - Geek Squad CSA (Customer Service Agent)  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Geek Squad CSA (Customer Service Agent) in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time for less than a year

Pros

Alright pay. Decent discounts. My co-workers were stellar. Grossly underpaid for the money they make for that company. This is a nice floatation device job. Don't get trapped there.

Cons

I applied for several positions including CIA (Counter Intelligence Agent) & landed on Customer Service Agent. This was alright at first because I was misinformed that I would be able to advance in as little as 6 months due to my position. I later found out that it would take years. I'll be done college by then & will be starting in my career.

Their definition of having a hard time means that you should be transferred to a different department.

The training was late & lacking in certain areas. Often outdated & incorrect training reading materials.

Nowhere next to enough on the job training. It takes much longer than necessary to learn & advance.

Bonuses are based on sales which is understandable, of course if you don't work sales, this doesn't really applies to you. This wouldn't be much of an issue if a decent annual raise was store wide. Sadly, a decent annual raise is based on sales. That's right, if you don't work sales, you need not really apply.

I watched people sell $50,000.00 worth of T.V.s & $10,000.00 worth of computers a week & were too underpaid. You'd think the discounts help & be dead wrong.

Hours are flexible unless you're good at your job.

Sale the company to Samsung.

Fun, quirky retail sales job.

Former Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant  in  Macomb, MI
    Former Employee - Mobile Wireless Sales Consultant in Macomb, MI

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In my opinion, this store was one of the better stores to work at if you are looking at retail. The people were great, getting your hands on the latest technology was cool, and they try to keep the day moving by adding fun/goofy games to do before, after and during the work day.

Cons

Work hours were draining - never having two days off in a row was frustrating. Working as a part time associate and being scheduled 5-6 days a week for 4-6 hour shifts was no fun. This got even worse during the holidays. As time went on, it became increasingly obvious that numbers were at the root of our existence, not customer experience (like they had communicated prior). The pressure put on management was then pushed to the sales associates.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!