There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Started out fun in the beginning...

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off as an ARA ( Advanced Repair Agent)for Geek Squad and began fixing everything from laptops to phones. Virus removals, complete tear downs of laptops to replace HDDs deep inside of mostly Dells... The occasional iPhone and laptop screen replacement.. Anything and everything except build the computer I did it.

Cons

HOURS. (It's retail, so it shifts everyday) I went in being promised 40hours a week, but the most I'd ever get was 35 being full time. No appreciation, no help from management. The Consultant Agents (CA) don't know much about computers and will check in anything for any reason to make the sale of tech support for ($199 a year) Sometimes they are told to sell as much as possible for any reason to make the day's quota. I have seen many people conned out of their hard earned money when if the CA would have known what they were doing could have easily fixed it for them and charged a $29 client education fee. Instead the company and management want their money, so they'd rather take more of the customer's dough. I've fixed countless "rush my repair" computers where the client is charged an extra $100 to get their computer back in 24 hours in 3-4 hours. Simple stuff, that may come easy to somewhat who knows what they're doing still shouldn't cost a customer that much money. Geek Squad is a rip off & their tech support is immediately shoved down your throat when you bring in a computer that has minimal problems.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right and remember without them there is no YOU. Schedule hours correctly, and don't have your employees stay until 10pm closing and then have them show up at 7am the next day.

reviews filtered by
  1. Couldn't work with me on hours.

Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Geek Squad was amazing. The management always took our side if we were in the right, and there was never any pressure to kill ourselves to perform. If we were swamped, it meant the turn time went up, and we buckled down, not that we weren't doing our jobs. We were expected to pull our weight, though. Everyone at my store did, including our chain of command. It was my last experience in retail, and it was the best.

Cons

Hiring was not fun. We lost several associates at once, and thus I ended up picking up almost 30 hours a week. This would have been fine were I not a student. They refused to work with me on hours, because I was the only closer, and I fell too far behind in my classes to keep my job. I quit on amicable terms. The other thing was that I flatly would never work in any area that wasn't geek squad. The pressure to perform was too great, and no matter what the sales associates did, it was never good enough.

Advice to Management

Give store managers more freedom to hire, and figure out what you're doing right in geek squad, and wrong everywhere else. The culture and job satisfaction are entirely different between the two.

2. Can They Survive

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with a fast pace. The relationship with the vendors offers some great perks as an employee and is open to every level of associate. Historically the company has deeply rooted values however it is too early to tell if those will stay alive as they continue to try to positively impact the financials.

Cons

Too much turmoil. The company is constantly reinventing its structure both in the stores and at the corporate level. The lack of structured training beyond e-learnings is almost non existent. The emphasis on creating competent and confident employees that are committed to the company mission is not a focus.

Advice to Management

Allow the plan time to actually work before reacting so quickly and dramatically. The current organization is not fluid and the soul of the company is being compromised. I feel the long term financial impact can be met with a focused balance on cost savings and investments into the stores. You can only save your way to success for so long. I hope this company really thrives in the future but only time will tell.