Best Buy

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Can They Survive

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with a fast pace. The relationship with the vendors offers some great perks as an employee and is open to every level of associate. Historically the company has deeply rooted values however it is too early to tell if those will stay alive as they continue to try to positively impact the financials.

Cons

Too much turmoil. The company is constantly reinventing its structure both in the stores and at the corporate level. The lack of structured training beyond e-learnings is almost non existent. The emphasis on creating competent and confident employees that are committed to the company mission is not a focus.

Allow the plan time to actually work before reacting so quickly and dramatically. The current organization is not fluid and the soul of the company is being compromised. I feel the long term financial impact can be met with a focused balance on cost savings and investments into the stores. You can only save your way to success for so long. I hope this company really thrives in the future but only time will tell.

6330 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Decent "for now" or side job, little vertical movement

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The enviroment is nice and my favorite part of the job was the people I worked with. it is a cooperative workplace that will make you feel part of a team. Nice to be involved with product you enjoy.

Cons

The pay is poor for anything below supervisor, not to mention the inability to move up and make it a career. They seem to be laying off more people lately than promoting. The company is in decline, with poor business decisions being made every day, with shareholders in mind more than employees or profitability. Bonuses are a joke for anyone but leadership.

Higher pay for all, higher pay caps for raises, better focus on merchandising and inventory side of business, appreciate your employees.

I was lied to, strung on, and ultimately lived without income for months.

Former Employee - PCHO Specialist
    Former Employee - PCHO Specialist

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed working with computers and helping people. I have always loved technology so this job let me tap into that knowledge.

Cons

The first challenge was their ridiculous service sales tactic. I did not enjoy being asked to take advantage of the elderly and/or misinformed by selling them things they didn't need.

But that wasn't the worst of it...

I was told that I would transfer to another store after explaining to management that I would need to move for college. A week or so later I was told that everything had been arranged and to ask for the manager when I arrived at the new location. I did as asked and got some idiotic associate manager who had no idea I was being brought in. He took my information and said he would talk to his manager (the GM) and call me.

A week went by and I heard nothing... so I called the store and asked for the guy. He was always busy or never answered the phone. Finally at one point a few days later he answered and told me that I would be able to start. He had verified with the other store and I should be on the schedule soon. After attempting to log into my schedule I realized that the previous store had removed my login and the new store would need to provide me with new credentials.

I of course tried calling back with the same runaround. So I went to the store and asked for the manager. Not being available (as usual) I spoke with the HR woman who searched my name and came up with nothing. She said the system might take awhile so I went back home (about a 20 min drive from my apartment). I called back day after day for several weeks getting the same story. Weeks turned into months and by this point I was running out of money. So I quit trying and moved on. I still don't know to this day if I was fired, lost, or discriminated against.

What management? Managers actually lead and do things. This company doesn't have that.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy