Best Buy

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Can They Survive

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with a fast pace. The relationship with the vendors offers some great perks as an employee and is open to every level of associate. Historically the company has deeply rooted values however it is too early to tell if those will stay alive as they continue to try to positively impact the financials.

Cons

Too much turmoil. The company is constantly reinventing its structure both in the stores and at the corporate level. The lack of structured training beyond e-learnings is almost non existent. The emphasis on creating competent and confident employees that are committed to the company mission is not a focus.

Allow the plan time to actually work before reacting so quickly and dramatically. The current organization is not fluid and the soul of the company is being compromised. I feel the long term financial impact can be met with a focused balance on cost savings and investments into the stores. You can only save your way to success for so long. I hope this company really thrives in the future but only time will tell.

6837 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Helped me build my resume with customer service and sales experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Long Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fun people to work with, pay wasnt minimum wage, occasional bonus, better than some other retail stores

Cons

micro managing, annoying and angry customers, holidays are crazy, no time for family around the holidays, work every weekend

focus on what customers want. more product and more sales people..

Started out fun in the beginning...

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I started off as an ARA ( Advanced Repair Agent)for Geek Squad and began fixing everything from laptops to phones. Virus removals, complete tear downs of laptops to replace HDDs deep inside of mostly Dells... The occasional iPhone and laptop screen replacement.. Anything and everything except build the computer I did it.

Cons

HOURS. (It's retail, so it shifts everyday) I went in being promised 40hours a week, but the most I'd ever get was 35 being full time. No appreciation, no help from management. The Consultant Agents (CA) don't know much about computers and will check in anything for any reason to make the sale of tech support for ($199 a year) Sometimes they are told to sell as much as possible for any reason to make the day's quota. I have seen many people conned out of their hard earned money when if the CA would have known what they were doing could have easily fixed it for them and charged a $29 client education fee. Instead the company and management want their money, so they'd rather take more of the customer's dough. I've fixed countless "rush my repair" computers where the client is charged an extra $100 to get their computer back in 24 hours in 3-4 hours. Simple stuff, that may come easy to somewhat who knows what they're doing still shouldn't cost a customer that much money. Geek Squad is a rip off & their tech support is immediately shoved down your throat when you bring in a computer that has minimal problems.

Treat your employees right and remember without them there is no YOU. Schedule hours correctly, and don't have your employees stay until 10pm closing and then have them show up at 7am the next day.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy