There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

This company has ADHD

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A place where someone without an education can get a chance at management. The employee discount is nice on items with margin. A lot of online product training available. Vendor support is nice and for sales management, lucrative (swag). If you are hired for a good store, you can make a decent bonus.

Cons

Zero respect for work life balance. No paid holidays for management. Toadyism is prevalent. Health benefits are expensive compared to former employers.

Advice to Management

Stick with a concept or program for more than a month to actually give it a chance to see if it works; people have to get used to doing something to do it well. For a company that is trying to set itself apart from online competitors, is cutting payroll and management staff the best idea??? It's hard to sell the Blue Shirt experience when there are only four or five Blue Shirts covering an entire store. And cutting housekeeping is the first sign of a dying company...

reviews filtered by

Decent "for now" or side job, little vertical movement

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The enviroment is nice and my favorite part of the job was the people I worked with. it is a cooperative workplace that will make you feel part of a team. Nice to be involved with product you enjoy.

Cons

The pay is poor for anything below supervisor, not to mention the inability to move up and make it a career. They seem to be laying off more people lately than promoting. The company is in decline, with poor business decisions being made every day, with shareholders in mind more than employees or profitability. Bonuses are a joke for anyone but leadership.

Advice to Management

Higher pay for all, higher pay caps for raises, better focus on merchandising and inventory side of business, appreciate your employees.

2. Couldn't work with me on hours.

Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Grand Junction, CO
    Former Employee - Geek Squad Consultation Agent in Grand Junction, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture at Geek Squad was amazing. The management always took our side if we were in the right, and there was never any pressure to kill ourselves to perform. If we were swamped, it meant the turn time went up, and we buckled down, not that we weren't doing our jobs. We were expected to pull our weight, though. Everyone at my store did, including our chain of command. It was my last experience in retail, and it was the best.

Cons

Hiring was not fun. We lost several associates at once, and thus I ended up picking up almost 30 hours a week. This would have been fine were I not a student. They refused to work with me on hours, because I was the only closer, and I fell too far behind in my classes to keep my job. I quit on amicable terms. The other thing was that I flatly would never work in any area that wasn't geek squad. The pressure to perform was too great, and no matter what the sales associates did, it was never good enough.

Advice to Management

Give store managers more freedom to hire, and figure out what you're doing right in geek squad, and wrong everywhere else. The culture and job satisfaction are entirely different between the two.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy