There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Easy, Fun, Enjoyable workplace.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Flexible, Good Co-workers, Easy Advancement, Fun Environment, Great Discounts, Good Customers, Easy job employment, Weekend Store, middle class to high class customers, Various computer problems and setups, Environment backing from managers and Geek Squad, Tools and Software supplied, Knowledgeable techs and double agents, Great profit share program, supportive corporate offices and branches, great full-time benefits, Nice 401k plans, easy movement to Double Agent, 40 hours plus hours for full-time with overtime for most hard workers, Opinions suggested improvements, great first time position in computer technology.

Cons

Poor Manager, Lack of on job training, Require Meetings, Lack of hours for part-time, little advancements in part-time positions, fast turnover rate for new employees, little or no extra help on weekends and busy nights.

Advice to Management

Look to make friends with employees and they will entrust you with hours and work.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. If you are a hard worker who wants to work retail [and loves technology], Best Buy is your place.

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD

Pros

Compared to the world of retail jobs, Best Buy tries to hide this and make it seem like a job of much higher status. This presentation that Best Buy displays to new employees empowers you to work in a more respectable manner rather than you thinking that you have a lesser-status job. Next, they do not throw you into the battlefield immediately, they make all employees work one month without the blue shirt in order to be trained on and off the store floor. You don't have to know a whole lot about technology to get a job at Best Buy, overtime you are trained to learn about the products that are sold and how they benefit the customer's needs. The discount is unrivaled to any electronics and\or department store. I can't provide the details on it due to confidential issues, but it is generous.

Cons

Once you are fully trained, you are expected to make sales like a machine. Getting management to notice your great sales is overshadowed by any time you don't perform as well. If we we're commission based in some way, it would truely make efforts to sell products more worth it. You also have to constantly track your sales on a sheet, which gets very tedious and actually hinders you from making more sales. Most of the time it doesn't even seem like management has time to look at those sales tracking sheets anyway. Overall though, if you plan to work retail, Best Buy still shines over your other options.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees to do their jobs, and do give more recognition. If some employees don't have much to be recognized, start focusing on them and see where they can go. Try to recognize as many employees as possible, even for smaller sales.

2. A great place to grow and learn!

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Home Theater Professional in Leesburg, VA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Home Theater Professional in Leesburg, VA

Pros

You build strong friendships with all co-workers and feel a real sense of accomplishment when we work as a team to bring an excellent experience to all of our customers. Even though Best Buy is a large organization, I feel very independent and everyone encourages individuality and bringing our own unique experiences to the table. There are areas to grow and always learn something new about technology and even yourself. There are opportunities all over the store to learn new skills and information regarding product. The pay is above average and my relationship with management has allowed flexible times for me to work when I come home for breaks from school. Best Buy is the ideal place for me.

Cons

Sometimes it does feel that Best Buy takes up a lot of personal time when I am not working, for instance a customer I may have been working with would like to meet with me on a day that I was not scheduled, or someone may have called out and we need a replacement as soon as possible. If you cannot educate or even deal with certain customer issues or complaints, the job may not suit a person as well. Organization and following up with customer concerns is a must, others do not like to have to always fix or adjust careless mistakes from other employees. Management can seem tough at some times, but they really just have to make sure they get their points across and help the store run more efficiently. A huge drawback (like most retail) is the lack of time off around Thanksgiving and Winter holidays.

Advice to Management

Maybe focus on the individual a little bit more and give more recognition to certain associates to go above and beyond a simple job description. Dedicating and striving to provide the customers with what they need and want is a very demanding task and reminding associates of a "job well done" is a real moral booster.