Like family.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist
Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're working at the right location, your coworkers will be your family. My GM is one of the most genuine people I've ever met; he treats everyone equally and does absolutely everything that he can to make sure that we are all comfortable and happy in our jobs. He makes an effort to get to know every one of us.
There are many opportunities for moving up. Not only that, but the managers pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses. They will recommend transferring you to another area of the store if your current position isn't working out for you.
Starting pay is higher than most other retail areas.
The opportunity to learn is exceptional here. The e-learnings can be dull, but the actual hands-on information is priceless.
Employee discount: awesome.

Cons

Corporate is a joke. They're glorified paper-pushers. They have no idea what's actually happening in store and try to implement absolutely ridiculous goals that no one can reach, then expect the managers to punish their employees for not meeting those goals. It can be very tense for this reason. Sales structure has the expectations of a commission-based company minus the actual commission. Turnover rates are skyrocketing because of this. Losing a lot of amazing upper management due to budget cuts. E-learnings are often silly and use outdated/misguided information.

Advice to Management

Empathize with your employees when times are tough, especially your sales team. You're not the only ones going home stressed out.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. PCHO

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

talk to a lot of people

Cons

Management do not care about you. Nor do they care about each other.

2. Over worked under paid

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I learned a lot about the finances of running a large business as well as the operating model

Cons

Where do I start? Usually asked to complete tasks that are not within our scope of work due to staffing and financial issues. When we take extra time to complete those tasks i.e. (over-time) we get into trouble for it. Corruption in management, favoritism, and annual raises within the range of $.23 was just not worth it. Lack of Integrity towards our customers for financial growth was another big issue.

Advice to Management

IN MY OPINION....I do not believe corruption, favoritism, etc will ever fade as long as money is involved...with that being said people are motivated by money to work harder. So take a pay cut, (management makes good money, Oh my god, do not even get me started on district salaries) and share some of that wealth with the lower level employees since we are the ones who interact with customers (the people that bring in the revenue). Even if it is a dollar or two I am sure most employees would be a lot happier.