There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Like family.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist
Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you're working at the right location, your coworkers will be your family. My GM is one of the most genuine people I've ever met; he treats everyone equally and does absolutely everything that he can to make sure that we are all comfortable and happy in our jobs. He makes an effort to get to know every one of us.
There are many opportunities for moving up. Not only that, but the managers pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses. They will recommend transferring you to another area of the store if your current position isn't working out for you.
Starting pay is higher than most other retail areas.
The opportunity to learn is exceptional here. The e-learnings can be dull, but the actual hands-on information is priceless.
Employee discount: awesome.

Cons

Corporate is a joke. They're glorified paper-pushers. They have no idea what's actually happening in store and try to implement absolutely ridiculous goals that no one can reach, then expect the managers to punish their employees for not meeting those goals. It can be very tense for this reason. Sales structure has the expectations of a commission-based company minus the actual commission. Turnover rates are skyrocketing because of this. Losing a lot of amazing upper management due to budget cuts. E-learnings are often silly and use outdated/misguided information.

Empathize with your employees when times are tough, especially your sales team. You're not the only ones going home stressed out.

reviews filtered by
  1. Sales associate

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Discount program was the best in the game!

Cons

Hours could've been WAY better.

Home Theater Associate

Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Waterford, MI
    Former Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Waterford, MI

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of great people to work with, never ending supply of new technology to learn, had a good discount on merchandise.

Cons

Very little upward mobility, they would be willing to let you switch departments and learn more but not willing to let you move up the ladder.

Make sure you value good employees they will work very had as long as you come through on promises made. Stop telling employees if they do certain things they will be promoted. If you can't or won't come through for your employees when they do what you ask of them, they lose a lot of faith in you and the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy