There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Like family.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist
Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you're working at the right location, your coworkers will be your family. My GM is one of the most genuine people I've ever met; he treats everyone equally and does absolutely everything that he can to make sure that we are all comfortable and happy in our jobs. He makes an effort to get to know every one of us.
There are many opportunities for moving up. Not only that, but the managers pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses. They will recommend transferring you to another area of the store if your current position isn't working out for you.
Starting pay is higher than most other retail areas.
The opportunity to learn is exceptional here. The e-learnings can be dull, but the actual hands-on information is priceless.
Employee discount: awesome.

Cons

Corporate is a joke. They're glorified paper-pushers. They have no idea what's actually happening in store and try to implement absolutely ridiculous goals that no one can reach, then expect the managers to punish their employees for not meeting those goals. It can be very tense for this reason. Sales structure has the expectations of a commission-based company minus the actual commission. Turnover rates are skyrocketing because of this. Losing a lot of amazing upper management due to budget cuts. E-learnings are often silly and use outdated/misguided information.

Empathize with your employees when times are tough, especially your sales team. You're not the only ones going home stressed out.

6010 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Great Experience

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Greeley, CO

I worked at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work life, managers care about you, Professional

Cons

hours are low, specially if its a slow month

Pretty happy so far

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Montclair, CA
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Montclair, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-AMAZING discount
    -Most get paid at $9.00 an hour
    -Management is respectful if you go to school & have unavailability on those days
    -Great chances to win things
    -Long lunch 45 mins but you can take up to a hour lunch
    -Many chances to win things
    -Great accommodations
    -We were well taken care of on Black Friday (lots of food snacks drinks & energy drinks)
    -Co workers are willing to help you
    -Tuition assistance if you go to school and are full time

Cons

-RIDICULOUS CUSTOMERS especially in mobile
    -If you work in mobile be prepared to stay up to 10:00pm when they have a ridiculous promo
    -Geeksquad insurance causes a lot of problems & reward zone too
    -Very hard to move up in the company at the pace you want to
    -Only get a raise once a year which is $0.35
    -If your manager doesn't teach you anything especially in Best Buy Mobile you are left to sink
    -Many times you are shadowing other co workers when you first arrive
    -You have a salary cap max you could make is $13.50 if you are an associate
    -Managers can be jerks & have favoritism if you can sell
    -Co workers who can sell are often very shady & management won't do anything about it because they can sell
    -Often pressured to sell or meet unrealistic goals
    -If you work on a slow day and you don't sell you are often looked at as lazy even though it's not your fault

Don't give favoritism to employees when you know they are doing shady deals and don't be such jerks to warehouse employees just because they don't sell does not mean they are not a big part of this company! Make geeksquad insurance better so we get to keep good customers n not go down the drain like circuit city

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy