Like family.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist
Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're working at the right location, your coworkers will be your family. My GM is one of the most genuine people I've ever met; he treats everyone equally and does absolutely everything that he can to make sure that we are all comfortable and happy in our jobs. He makes an effort to get to know every one of us. There are many opportunities for moving up. Not only that, but the managers pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses. They will recommend transferring you to another area of the store if your current position isn't working out for you. Starting pay is higher than most other retail areas. The opportunity to learn is exceptional here. The e-learnings can be dull, but the actual hands-on information is priceless. Employee discount: awesome.

Cons

Corporate is a joke. They're glorified paper-pushers. They have no idea what's actually happening in store and try to implement absolutely ridiculous goals that no one can reach, then expect the managers to punish their employees for not meeting those goals. It can be very tense for this reason. Sales structure has the expectations of a commission-based company minus the actual commission. Turnover rates are skyrocketing because of this. Losing a lot of amazing upper management due to budget cuts. E-learnings are often silly and use outdated/misguided information.

Advice to Management

Empathize with your employees when times are tough, especially your sales team. You're not the only ones going home stressed out.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. Became a number

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are very competitive, campus has many amenities, onsite workout facilities and onsite daycare.

Cons

Company moving away from focusing on the employee and now focusing on the shareholder.

2. No training to new employees at all

Current Employee - Cell Phone Sales in Wichita Falls, TX
    Current Employee - Cell Phone Sales in Wichita Falls, TX

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the people I worked with

Cons

Management was the worst I'd ever seen. There was no leadership. .