There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Good Work Environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Wheeling, WV
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wheeling, WV

I worked at Best Buy part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The managers at my store were very understanding and allowed for flexible schedules. They were great about teaching very good selling skills. They also promote from within.

Cons

During the holidays you were expected to give up every aspect of your life and work super long hours. The managers could get too familiar with the employees which made them bad at managing them.

5775 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Fun Company until Laid Off

I worked at Best Buy

Pros

Great co-workers, always learn about the newest technology, most customer very eager to learn new things, most employees are excited to work in a technology place, pay is usually great the higher you go

Cons

Leadership roles usually requires sacrifices in family time but hey it is retail,

Like family.

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist

I have been working at Best Buy part-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're working at the right location, your coworkers will be your family. My GM is one of the most genuine people I've ever met; he treats everyone equally and does absolutely everything that he can to make sure that we are all comfortable and happy in our jobs. He makes an effort to get to know every one of us.
    There are many opportunities for moving up. Not only that, but the managers pay attention to your strengths and weaknesses. They will recommend transferring you to another area of the store if your current position isn't working out for you.
    Starting pay is higher than most other retail areas.
    The opportunity to learn is exceptional here. The e-learnings can be dull, but the actual hands-on information is priceless.
    Employee discount: awesome.

Cons

Corporate is a joke. They're glorified paper-pushers. They have no idea what's actually happening in store and try to implement absolutely ridiculous goals that no one can reach, then expect the managers to punish their employees for not meeting those goals. It can be very tense for this reason. Sales structure has the expectations of a commission-based company minus the actual commission. Turnover rates are skyrocketing because of this. Losing a lot of amazing upper management due to budget cuts. E-learnings are often silly and use outdated/misguided information.

Empathize with your employees when times are tough, especially your sales team. You're not the only ones going home stressed out.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!