There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Good Company overall

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the discount are great!

Cons

Company is going through tough times now.

Be active and on the floor and listen to your people.

6002 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Overall fun retail experience, pay is alright.

Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in La Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Associate in La Mesa, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management at my store is absolutely fantastic - in my part time position they have no problem approving of days off or availability changes. Lots of positive feedback from them on how to improve in my position as a Computer/Tablet Sales. Also the company gives an awesome employee discount, and it seems a lot of folks get promoted to new positions often.

Cons

At worst, sometimes it seems like you can be underpaid for the amount of product knowledge or skill that you have. Some positions in the company are unstable and people seem to get laid off at uncomfortably regular intervals.

Pay raises.

Your co-workers will be your family

Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you love consumer electronics and don't mind working weekends and nights, Best Buy is the place for you. The atmosphere is VERY competitive. Despite not being on commission, all employee sales are tracked. If you have a great positive attitude and are willing to put in a ton of hours than promoting is possible.

Cons

As with most retailers, be prepared to give up practically weekends and most of your evenings. As an assistant manager I was paid quite well, but typically worked a 11+ hour workday. Also during the winter months, expect to work up to 6 days a week and average 12 hours+ a day. Sales managers do not typically work mornings, so all of your evenings and weekends are spent there. I loved the constant change and all of my employees, but I didn't get any time with family during the holidays. If you have poor performance for than two straight quarters, expect A LOT of pressure to get better or get out. Not a position for the weak personality.

I lost my job (as did 2,000 others) during the last restructure. 12 years of experience didn't matter much. While financially I understand why the cuts were made, I certainly believe there has been a reduction in knowledge and experience throughout the company. Next time there is a major restructure please do not force your employees work an extra month knowing they won't have a job. That was truly torturous.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy