Good Company overall

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Sales Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people and the discount are great!

Cons

Company is going through tough times now.

Advice to Management

Be active and on the floor and listen to your people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Your co-workers will be your family

Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you love consumer electronics and don't mind working weekends and nights, Best Buy is the place for you. The atmosphere is VERY competitive. Despite not being on commission, all employee sales are tracked. If you have a great positive attitude and are willing to put in a ton of hours than promoting is possible.

Cons

As with most retailers, be prepared to give up practically weekends and most of your evenings. As an assistant manager I was paid quite well, but typically worked a 11+ hour workday. Also during the winter months, expect to work up to 6 days a week and average 12 hours+ a day. Sales managers do not typically work mornings, so all of your evenings and weekends are spent there. I loved the constant change and all of my employees, but I didn't get any time with family during the holidays. If you have poor performance for than two straight quarters, expect A LOT of pressure to get better or get out. Not a position for the weak personality.

Advice to Management

I lost my job (as did 2,000 others) during the last restructure. 12 years of experience didn't matter much. While financially I understand why the cuts were made, I certainly believe there has been a reduction in knowledge and experience throughout the company. Next time there is a major restructure please do not force your employees work an extra month knowing they won't have a job. That was truly torturous.

2. Very Fun And Enjoyable Experience!

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Reno, NV

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

During my employment at Best Buy, I quite enjoyed going in to work. My co-workers were friendly and respectful, the supervisors were more than willing to help if it was needed, and the general manager was one of the nicest people I met; he basically knew everyone. Working in the Mobile department kept me busy, and not every customer was the same. The discount was pretty cool, even though I used it twice. Black Friday was chaotic and tiring, but so worth the time. With Best Buy's Renew Blue Program, the company sends their employees on a week long training seminar, in my case heading to Las Vegas, with the round trip flight paid for and food reimbursed. There are also training's called E-Learning's completed online, with some required and some are optional. I took some learning's for Microsoft's Xbox One, as it was about to be released, and for successfully completing it, I received a free year of Xbox Live Gold, saving me $60! Awesome perk, and there are a TON more. The best part about my time there though? Wowing the customers with a nice demo and finalizing a sale; they made my experience there better. Best Buy is heading in the right direction, and I do not see them going out of business. Keep it up!

Cons

My time there wasn't without its cons, but there isn't much. First off, after being offered employment, you must get drug tested. Now that was no problem for me, but the time to wait was. It took three weeks to get my results back, but that isn't entirely my store's fault. After getting started, I felt like the job shadowing was pretty quick, and wasn't fully confident to do everything on my own (everything was easier after a few work day.) Now for perhaps the biggest con, the scheduling was WAY all over the place. One day I would work, then have 4 days off, then work six straight days, have one day off, then work five straight days, and so on. There was never a level of consistency with the scheduling, and that is what eventually lead me to give my two week notice. During the holidays, I was getting 26-30 hours a week, easily was able to live off of that. Then, the new year came, and I received one six-eight hour shift every TWO weeks. I couldn't live off of that, and decided it was time. I loved Best Buy, but the scheduling and lack of hours after the holidays really sucked, and I wish it could have worked out, as I loved my job.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be to lay off of the REQUIRED E-Learning's, and move to more on-hands training. The learning's can be repetitive, and quite boring. Also, sometimes, departments would be clearly understaffed, and not enough employees to help customers. Other than that, keep doing a good job!