Best Buy

www.bestbuy.com
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

just a job

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

friendly co-workers, fun atmosphere when management is respectful

Cons

management tends to "talk-down" and can make one feel incredibly small

value your "ants" the company would be nothing without them

6331 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

Fun, fast-paced work environment with lots of opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Awesome benefits for employees including 401K, discount, Tuition Reimbursement, and short-term incentives.
    - Dedicated leadership willing to work with you to help you meet your goals.

Cons

- Can become a "boys club" environment and be difficult to move up if you aren't friends with the right people.
    - Company is constantly trying to improve systems, often causing more issues than ease for employees

- Work-Life Balance with less pressure on employees to never take vacation

Your co-workers will be your family

Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Connectivity Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you love consumer electronics and don't mind working weekends and nights, Best Buy is the place for you. The atmosphere is VERY competitive. Despite not being on commission, all employee sales are tracked. If you have a great positive attitude and are willing to put in a ton of hours than promoting is possible.

Cons

As with most retailers, be prepared to give up practically weekends and most of your evenings. As an assistant manager I was paid quite well, but typically worked a 11+ hour workday. Also during the winter months, expect to work up to 6 days a week and average 12 hours+ a day. Sales managers do not typically work mornings, so all of your evenings and weekends are spent there. I loved the constant change and all of my employees, but I didn't get any time with family during the holidays. If you have poor performance for than two straight quarters, expect A LOT of pressure to get better or get out. Not a position for the weak personality.

I lost my job (as did 2,000 others) during the last restructure. 12 years of experience didn't matter much. While financially I understand why the cuts were made, I certainly believe there has been a reduction in knowledge and experience throughout the company. Next time there is a major restructure please do not force your employees work an extra month knowing they won't have a job. That was truly torturous.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy