There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Decent company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Snellville, GA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Snellville, GA

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits such as insurance and employee discounts that can be used in the store. Great job if you enjoy working with new people and different personalities.

Cons

Sometimes the review process can be a bit of a challenge. You can feel that you put your best foot forward in your role, but at review time, you have to be able to speak to the core values on that sheet of paper. Sometimes that causes you to be rated unfairly no matter how hard you worked that quarter.

Show your employees that you value them. Show them that they mean more than that piece of review paper.

5775 Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy (View Most Recent)

A shell of its former self

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are pretty generous, work life balance is good.

Cons

Cost cutting has gone too far. The products they sell are fully commoditized, and they can't differentiate on service or experience when they keep cutting things. All levels of the organization are plagued by politics, favoritism and ass-covering. No one is willing to put themselves out there to do the right thing. Accountability is laughable at best.

Start holding people accountable to their jobs instead of cutting resources.

New culture; attempting to rebound; new realities of industry and economy; loss of many good leaders.

Current Employee - Director  in  Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We have a history of overcoming adversity. New management is intelligent and has calmed Wall Street. However, our plan is still not cohesive or necessarily "strong". It also seems to be highly dependent upon our primary, large competitors not creating a similar plan with greater efficiencies and cost-effectiveness - In other words, there is a better than average chance that they will do it better than we will.

Cons

Once a deep, energized, positive culture is now a feeling of simply "having a job"; many people spend time worrying about the stability of the company and/or their jobs. They also spend time brushing up on their LinkedIn profiles and job-board sites (like I am doing as I type this). There is far too much work (staying competitive has created "new"/additional work), but we have fewer people at corporate and in our store roles to accomplish that work with excellence. Often, it's not accomplished at all.

Figure out how to form a new culture - "any" type of culture, because people will not stay with or follow a company they don't feel an emotional connection to - as we once ALL did at Best Buy. Also, we need to find ways to advance high-quality, intelligent leaders who have been waiting for opportunities, vs. always going outside for upper / senior management.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!