There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Best Buy best place for engaged employees

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Best Buy supports its employees and provides many opportunities for them to advance their career. Most don’t take advantage of these opportunities. With hard work, career success can be achieved. Innovate ideas will get the support they require if an employee has the passion to drive them and show how they benefit the company and customers. The best reason to work for Best Buy is its unique culture. The company truly lives its values and core philosophies. If they do not resonate with you, don’t apply to work there. Best Buy also has a very relaxed and casual atmosphere which fosters collaboration.

Cons

Like with most companies, ideas and successes can get stolen. Employees need to protect their work and ideas from credit thieves. I have heard working in the field is tough. I don’t think the corporate headquarters does a very good job of communicating its reasoning behinds its actions to the field. Likewise, I don’t think the field sees the bigger picture. I’ve heard sale reps positions in stores don’t pay much but are higher than the industry average. Well, I guess that’s a start. I think field employees should get paid more. They have to deal with the public everyday. That is challenging.

Advice to Management

Compensate the field line-level employees more. Also, Best Buy needs to work harder at increasing its amount of minority employees. Diversity is a great strength that Best Buy is not fully maximizing. Why are there no black women in senior management? Really, they couldn’t find just one? What about other minorities?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Be prepared for change ... both good and bad.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

There is an energy level at Best Buy that I've never experienced before. This place moves fast. Real fast. If you like a fast-paced, frenetic company, Best Buy is for you. It's also an unparalled leader in its space and has the capacity to define the CE world. Working at Best Buy matters. Brad Anderson (CEO) and Brian Dunn (President) are respectable guys who truly care about employees. Some of the director and VP-level leadership is suspect, but the people at the top know what they are doing and have good hearts. Oh, and the employee discount rocks.

Cons

Retail. director and VP-level leadership is suspect. The joke within Best Buy is that we have a 10-year-stategy and a 10-week patience. Be prepared to deal with change and if you don't like change, don't work here.

Advice to Management

Eliminate 50% of your VP/Director workforce. Hire more senior talent to provide insight into the technology space ... too much knowledge comes from vendors instead of internal. Don't trust the vendors! Use that knowledge to provide a vision for the customer of what possibilities exist in CE.

2. Best Buy, Great for advancement, trouble for personal time

Current Employee - Customer Assistant (CA)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant (CA)

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

The Best reasons to work for Best Buy is it's awesome 5% above cost discount. Also other benefits include the chance to always excel and be more than just a normal sales consultant. You can go above and beyond your normal duties, get recognized and move up in the company. Best Buy also does a lot of charity work and walks. Best Buys are opening up left and right, so you can always find a Best Buy if you transfer to another location maybe due to personal preference. Other than that Best Buy is a place where Customers are put first due to the Customer Centric sales model.

Cons

The fact that for Best Buy, sometimes they might forget that you have a home life as well. That Best Buy isn't your life but your life exists outside of Best Buy. This statement does not mean Best Buy is a bad place to work out. It just means that if you want to balance your personal life and Best Buy you'll have to do so by fighting for it. Essentially if you work with your Supervisors and Managers with your schedule things can work out. But a lot of times those lines merge because the employer is highly tempted to call on your time's off for help on certain tasks and request that you later do a time edit to acknowledge you helped and get paid for that time. At first it's ok, then after a while it becomes a frustrating process.

Advice to Management

To respect an employees personal life and regard it as important and special to them. And to not trample over personal events that take priority over Best Buy. Instead support and build up the employees as is promised in Unleashing the power of our people says.