There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

Best Buy best place for engaged employees

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

Best Buy supports its employees and provides many opportunities for them to advance their career. Most don’t take advantage of these opportunities. With hard work, career success can be achieved. Innovate ideas will get the support they require if an employee has the passion to drive them and show how they benefit the company and customers. The best reason to work for Best Buy is its unique culture. The company truly lives its values and core philosophies. If they do not resonate with you, don’t apply to work there. Best Buy also has a very relaxed and casual atmosphere which fosters collaboration.

Cons

Like with most companies, ideas and successes can get stolen. Employees need to protect their work and ideas from credit thieves. I have heard working in the field is tough. I don’t think the corporate headquarters does a very good job of communicating its reasoning behinds its actions to the field. Likewise, I don’t think the field sees the bigger picture. I’ve heard sale reps positions in stores don’t pay much but are higher than the industry average. Well, I guess that’s a start. I think field employees should get paid more. They have to deal with the public everyday. That is challenging.

Compensate the field line-level employees more. Also, Best Buy needs to work harder at increasing its amount of minority employees. Diversity is a great strength that Best Buy is not fully maximizing. Why are there no black women in senior management? Really, they couldn’t find just one? What about other minorities?

reviews filtered by

Be prepared for change ... both good and bad.

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

There is an energy level at Best Buy that I've never experienced before. This place moves fast. Real fast. If you like a fast-paced, frenetic company, Best Buy is for you. It's also an unparalled leader in its space and has the capacity to define the CE world. Working at Best Buy matters.

Brad Anderson (CEO) and Brian Dunn (President) are respectable guys who truly care about employees. Some of the director and VP-level leadership is suspect, but the people at the top know what they are doing and have good hearts.

Oh, and the employee discount rocks.

Cons

Retail.
    director and VP-level leadership is suspect.
    The joke within Best Buy is that we have a 10-year-stategy and a 10-week patience. Be prepared to deal with change and if you don't like change, don't work here.

Eliminate 50% of your VP/Director workforce. Hire more senior talent to provide insight into the technology space ... too much knowledge comes from vendors instead of internal. Don't trust the vendors! Use that knowledge to provide a vision for the customer of what possibilities exist in CE.

2. Great place to work

Current Employee - Store Services Manager in Bangor, ME
    Current Employee - Store Services Manager in Bangor, ME

I have been working at Best Buy

Pros

It is like a family. Sometimes this is a good thing and other times it is a bad thing. It did remind me of High School a little since rumors and stories spread around the store in 2 seconds. Best Buy was a good place for me during High School and in College but now that I am looking to start a family... not so much. The hours as a manager are long and they are all over the place. In most cases you work 10-12 hour shifts 5 - 6 days a week and then your GM works maybe 4.

Cons

Hours are very long and it is really hard to get rid of someone that doesn't do their job.

HR needs work.