Best Friends Animal Society

Unprofessional onboarding

Former Employee - Employee Relation Manager in Kanab, UT
Former Employee - Employee Relation Manager in Kanab, UT

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society

Pros

Commitment ro animal welfare
Kanab is a beautiful part of country
fair salary

Cons

Very insular community
Very insular work environment.
Employement , compensation and ER practices are not in line with best pracice of fairness and equity. Company incurs many employee compaints and EEO claims yet is not open to change.

Senior management needs to be more integrated with seasoned professionals with strong business acumen.

29 Other Employee Reviews for Best Friends Animal Society (View Most Recent)

Horrible environment

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society (more than an year)

Pros

Working with/for animals THAT'S IT

Cons

Unfortunately lots of the rumors are true and then some. Best Friends is almost cult like. Once you speak up or say anything management or founders disagree with whether it be for the benefit of the animals or otherwise you are somewhat "black listed". Working in this environment is a daily soap opera far from the friendly facade they try to portray. Favorites are definitely played I'll refer to them as the groupies who regardless of what best friends does these few employees will go along with everything & anything so they basically get "rewarded" so to speak for immoral behavior which would not be tolerated at any other large organization. These employees know they can get away with doing things you wouldn't even imagine thus resulting in unhappy employees who see the injustice of the situation. I know many animal lovers who would love to work for best friends but trust me when I tell you it's not worth leaving your current job. Do some research and you'll discover the horrors that is best friends.

Work for the animals not your egos.

Beautiful, wonderful animals but not a great place to be a human

Former Employee - Animal Care
    Former Employee - Animal Care

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely beautiful place, very nice coworkers, stunning surroundings and the chance to make a difference in the lives of animals.

Cons

Hard and a little scary to be an employee. The kindness to animals philosophy stops at those with four feet. My spouse and I used to travel there to volunteer every year and adopted three of our animals there before we were hired and moved to work there. .Here are the things to consider being okay with prior to giving it all up to work for them: You are NOT to speak up for animals you feel need care they deserve and may not be getting (some do, but not all), you are informed frequently and upon threat of termination that the purpose of the organization is to further the no more homeless pets platform and not the sanctuary. NMHP is amazing, but the employees hired to work at the sanctuary frequently drop everything and move all the way west to Kanab Utah to, where it is not easy to get a job if you are fired. Just be aware that not all that glitters is gold anymore and that it IS a wonderful place to be, just be careful. I wish someone had shared this with me. I was heartbroken when I found out.

I know most of you are in the same boat, but please, if you are in any way able to speak out for the employees without fear of losing your own jobs, we need you. We are all there because we care, and there are much better ways to ensure compliance and harmony. Doing it through fear is not going to make a "better world for all of us". Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Friends Animal Society