There are newer employer reviews for Best Friends Animal Society

bad experience

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society

Pros

nice animals, a pretty location

Cons

cult-like. they fire employees like it is going out of style.

no advise to give management, it is not run by managers, it is run by supposably retired founders that run it from the sidelines. the founders manage it through fear to keep employees paranoid. managers are afraid too. every one is afraid of losing thier job.

reviews filtered by

Putting my skill set to work for the animals - total fulfillment.

Current Employee - Events
    Current Employee - Events

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-A cause I fully support
    -Pioneers in the no kill movement; innovative programs and approaches to sustainable solutions
    -Some of the most intelligent, level-headed, warm and humorous co-workers I could wish to work with
    -A large enough organization that has well developed internal systems (that are always being fine-tuned) to support the needs I have to get my job done (request portals for any computer needs, design needs, ordering needs, etc., as well as an extensive on-going training catalog - for both computer program skills and HR - training/communication/management type classes.
    -Competitive benefits and salary packages - particularly for a non-profit
    -Given a lot of freedom to grow programs, build process/procedures, take initiative when a gap is identified, in order to rectify, etc.

Cons

-Best Friends is growing at a high rate and with that growth comes change - if you can't embrace it, it might not be the best fit for you. I happen to enjoy trying new things/new ways and don't like to get into the stagnant zone.
    -Working remotely with so many other remote employees, as well as the base camp in Kanab - you do need to be able to proactively stay connected to your co-workers in order to create your "team" experience and level of connection to your colleagues - it's up to you.
    -While the compensation packages are quite good and thoughtfully compiled the insurance providers for medical and dental have been a little bit challenging based on what is actually covered and how recognizable they are to medical professionals in my area (they may be more well known in the UT area), which causes me to do a lot of proactive phone calling and leg work to confirm coverage etc., before I make any appointments.

One of the Best and Worst experiences of my life.

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society

Pros

The canyon is amazing, the animals are well cared for, and I saw many animals find new homes. My coworkers were kind and I enjoyed the work.

Cons

The assistant manger where I worked was so unfair and critical, it felt like a witch hunt and I was damned if I did and damned if I didn't. She made the job very difficult for me and eventually I had to leave because she filed a negative report. I am not the first person she has done this to and I'm sure I won't be the last. I had a lot of passion for the cause of Best Friends and I am sad that it ended this way, but glad to be out of "the line of fire".

It would be much nicer if you could treat the employees with half of the respect and decency that the animals are shown. The employees don't deserve to be treated like they are easily disposable.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Friends Animal Society