Best Friends Animal Society

Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Best Friends Animal Society

bad experience

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society

Pros

nice animals, a pretty location

Cons

cult-like. they fire employees like it is going out of style.

no advise to give management, it is not run by managers, it is run by supposably retired founders that run it from the sidelines. the founders manage it through fear to keep employees paranoid. managers are afraid too. every one is afraid of losing thier job.

36 Other Employee Reviews for Best Friends Animal Society (View Most Recent)

The best and worst experience of my life

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kanab, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kanab, UT

I worked at Best Friends Animal Society full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great mission, good programs, beautiful sanctuary. The organization has come a long way in it's growth and overall mission is wonderful - it always has been. I learned a lot about animal welfare at this organization and felt good about the difference I was able to make in saving more lives.

Cons

Many management challenges - unfortunately, you do have to be a yes man to work here. Those who say yes (mind you only in front of management) or are favored based on personal relationships get promoted regardless of their effectiveness as managers/leaders. Many top level and mid level managers have absolutely no training in managing people so you have a very unprofessional environment. A lot of unfair treatment results and constant policy changes are made to suit the need of the day. Conflict resolution at HR is a sham. I put up with a lot of injustices but stayed because I loved the mission - but ultimately poor treatment drove me out.

Integrity is key when dealing with employees. Try upward evaluations or peer evaluations. Culture change has to come from the top.

Putting my skill set to work for the animals - total fulfillment.

Current Employee - Events
    Current Employee - Events

I have been working at Best Friends Animal Society full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-A cause I fully support
    -Pioneers in the no kill movement; innovative programs and approaches to sustainable solutions
    -Some of the most intelligent, level-headed, warm and humorous co-workers I could wish to work with
    -A large enough organization that has well developed internal systems (that are always being fine-tuned) to support the needs I have to get my job done (request portals for any computer needs, design needs, ordering needs, etc., as well as an extensive on-going training catalog - for both computer program skills and HR - training/communication/management type classes.
    -Competitive benefits and salary packages - particularly for a non-profit
    -Given a lot of freedom to grow programs, build process/procedures, take initiative when a gap is identified, in order to rectify, etc.

Cons

-Best Friends is growing at a high rate and with that growth comes change - if you can't embrace it, it might not be the best fit for you. I happen to enjoy trying new things/new ways and don't like to get into the stagnant zone.
    -Working remotely with so many other remote employees, as well as the base camp in Kanab - you do need to be able to proactively stay connected to your co-workers in order to create your "team" experience and level of connection to your colleagues - it's up to you.
    -While the compensation packages are quite good and thoughtfully compiled the insurance providers for medical and dental have been a little bit challenging based on what is actually covered and how recognizable they are to medical professionals in my area (they may be more well known in the UT area), which causes me to do a lot of proactive phone calling and leg work to confirm coverage etc., before I make any appointments.

There are newer employer reviews for Best Friends Animal Society