Best Friends Pet Care

Not worth it.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Tyngsboro, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tyngsboro, MA

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time

Pros

I loved the dogs, they are the reason I stayed as long as I did. Some of the people I worked with were great, and I miss seeing them. I loved the idea of the place, but needs more work.

Cons

There are an overwhelming amount of dogs in a room with a Daycamp Counselor at a time. I was in a room with 30 'big' dogs, and it was really unsafe. I felt like I had no control, and even though I asked for help no one helped. The management is more concerned with the money than the safety of the place for the dogs. I have to agree to other posts that the manager definitely has favorites, and makes it well known to the rest of the staff. There was a lot of talking behind people's backs (even done by the manager). There is usually an employee that quits there about every two weeks (from the time I spent there) and the main reason is because of the manager.

Take a look at records, and how many people have quit in the past year alone. Ask the former employees why they quit, and most will say because of the manager. Keep the groups of dogs smaller, and kick a dog out of camp if their behavior is out of control (even if it loses money). I really loved the dogs and some of the people, but for the reasons stated above, that's why I quit.

21 Other Employee Reviews for Best Friends Pet Care (View Most Recent)

The people who work there are very friendly but the training and pay are sub par.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  North Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very Great caring friendly employees

Cons

It is very time consuming for a part time job

Loved the animals, not the management

Former Employee - Doggie Day Camp Counselor  in  Tyngsboro, MA
    Former Employee - Doggie Day Camp Counselor in Tyngsboro, MA

I worked at Best Friends Pet Care part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a chance to learn a lot about different breeds and gain experience working with animals of varying sizes and temperaments. You do find yourself getting connected to the animals.

Cons

Always had the feeling that there was favoritism. We had one individual who created lies about other co-workers in an attempt to move up the ladder. Management believed this individual and created an unwelcoming workplace by sticking to this individual's every word and acting on them rather than talking to those (wrongfully) accused to get a more rounded story. This individual made many mistakes during her time there and placed blame on everyone else besides herself. It was a shame because I enjoyed many of the people I worked with and loved the animals.

I also did not like how the "playtimes" were run. The 10 minutes paid for by the customer for their pet included the amount of time it took me to get the dog ready to leave its crate, walk across the building to get to the play area, play for a few minutes, and walk all the way back to secure him/her into its kennel. In my opinion it seemed incredibly rushed, and the "playtime" really only ended up being five minutes, if that.

It was bittersweet to leave at the end of the summer.

Have weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly meetings with staff (as a group and separately) to gain a better sense of what is going on outside of your office. Reward excellence, not pettiness. Work more on the programs to have the best interest of the animals in mind (refer above to "playtimes").

There are newer employer reviews for Best Friends Pet Care

Worked for Best Friends Pet Care? Contribute to the Community!