There are newer employer reviews for Best Practices

Internship was OK, but not all that I had hoped for.

Former Intern - Intern in Chapel Hill, NC
Former Intern - Intern in Chapel Hill, NC

I worked at Best Practices as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is nice and helpful--I really liked everyone I met.

Cons

The office is tiring--very stiff and cubicle-oriented. As an intern, I had very little work to do--it was boring at times. I would have liked to be involved in more, but there was little direction or opportunity.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in the office--I never saw them anywhere but coming in and leaving the office. Also, innovate--analyses of "best practices" are common now, and there's a lot of expertise you all could better leverage.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Practices

Potential Turned to Frustration

Former Employee - Associate in Chapel Hill, NC
    Former Employee - Associate in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

I was excited to start at BPLLC and the training seemed to show a lot of potential for learning and advancement. My first few projects were interesting, if a little repetitive.

Cons

The limitations of the organization became obvious pretty quickly - too much templated work and not enough opportunity for individuals to contribute anything new.

Advice to Management

Stop pigeonholing every employee - people can grow into new roles and almost everyone at Best Practices could be doing more than they are and would be happy to contribute in ways they aren't allowed to currently.

Great place to learn quickly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Pros

I loved my interactions with customers. You had the opportunity to have high-level substantive interactions with Director to SVP-level clients at quarterly benchmarking conferences, during research projects, as well as in sales and service interactions. You are constantly learning, especially about the best practices of F500 companies, so you gain a lot of valuable experience to put on your resume. You have the opportunity to build lasting relationships with clients, which was very rewarding. Everyone has to sell, market and/or do research so there's a lot of cross-functional teams. People often support more than one product/service. They use great templates and models with standardized processes so the formula for success is relatively easy to follow. If you want custom benchmarking, especially in the area of pharmaceutical sales, they are very good. Communication about company performance through quarterly hands on meetings is good. They also allow a great deal flexibility re: where and when to do your job. The culture is very performance based. Everyone has targets and timelines for deliverables.

Cons

Benchmarking has become a commodity. Every professional association is doing it now, and there are providers like APQC, that offers free benchmarking opportunities with services like their Open Standards Benchmarking Collaborative. BPLLC's business model is easy to replicate, and has already been replicated successfully by other entities, including some former employees creating competing organizations, e.g., CuttingEdge Info and ThoughtLeader Select.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees about trends in the market and potential new product innovations/improvements (even if they may cannibalize existing offerings). If BPLLC doesn't create them, a competitor will. Try harder to truly engage employees and understand their concerns and issues, seek harder to build a culture of mutual trust. Maybe former employees wouldn't have left to create competing organization if they would have felt understood and empowered to innovate internally.