There are newer employer reviews for Betfair

I thought it was a challenging place to learn & grow, now I realise is so hectic because we still don't know the vision

I have been working at Betfair full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a challenging work and technically is very satisfying, most of the people I've worked with are extremely smart.
The technology and applications are the best and the newest.

Cons

In few years Betfair grow from a small informal company to an international middle-size without any type of control, chaos is normal (when you believe it's settling down they introduce a drastic change) and there is a general reluctancy to follow processes and take accountability.

This is the first place I've worked where there is no organisational chart at all, you have to find out who are you supposed to work with and keep informed by asking colleagues, having coffees and using informal communications which is extremly frustrating, inefficient and useless.

The recent cost reductions have had a negative impact on people's engagement & motivation, when I joined everyone was really proud to be part of Betfair. Unfortunately they lost that sense of community that was so appealling and that made Betfair a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Improve your internal communications
The CEO is utterly uncomfortable when talking to employees he will be better off by sending us a video instead of making us feel he rather be somewhere else.

Now that you have informed everyone who is made redudant and who isn't it's time for you to start communicating the vision and the plans for the immediate future, not everyone is leaving in May so don't push us to quit, better motivate us and let us know why Betfair is still a good place to be.

reviews filtered by
  1. Very good

Current Employee - Senior
    Current Employee - Senior

I have been working at Betfair full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Fun place
    - Fast pace
    - Challenging

Cons

No Vision for the company

Advice to Management

Tell ur plans

Great initial idea, but bad management and poor decisions made it not a good place to work

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Betfair as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Used to have great reputation in the e-gaming industry. The teams are young and enthusiastic. Casual wear is allowed. All perks such as food, parties, clubs, office plants are gone after the latest reorganization the rumour has it.

Cons

Over-layered managerial structure, where priority is placed on reporting rather than actual delivery. Frequent change of strategy lead to lack of focus. The company did 2 waves of lay offs in the last couple of months and a lot of talented employees were let go as a consequence of office politics and severe cuts. The company culture is ruthless, you either fit in or you are out. The working environment varies with the different departments - while IT and Operations could be good to join, Commercial should be avoided. There is plenty to be desired from the HR as there are no career progression programs, and employees are rarely coached or mentored. Stepping the career ladder can be achieved if you leave and apply for a different position, but rarely from within. Motivation is very low among the work force, and this reflects on the output.

Advice to Management

Rethink the bureaucratic layered organisational structure, and invest in your employees.