Management need to be more competitive with the wages they are offering or they will lose key staff members

Current Employee - UK Hardworking Team Member
Current Employee - UK Hardworking Team Member

I have been working at Better World Books

Pros

- Career Advancement opportunities
- Friendly staff (mostly) /casual dress
-A lively working environment
-staff discount (the only benefits offered
-passionate senior management
-social, environmental stance brilliant

Cons

-wages and benefits are appalling - many hourly paid staff struggle to make ends meet or have 2nd jobs
-hourly paid staff with many additional responsibilities getting the same rate as those without
-some of the managers have *very* poor people and basic leadership skills
-communicating change is very hit or miss

1. Look after your staff - at least pay us the market rate , we'll be loyal and less likely to jump ship to amazon
2. Implement a staff grading scheme - e.g grade 1 for floors staff grade 2-3 for team leaders/those in specialist role 4 for mangers - it would stop rumors about salaries and give people something to aspire too
3. Recognition Recognition, Recogniton !
4. Be more open and honest - american staff earn more, have greater benefits - why?

Other Reviews for Better World Books

A good company , but room for improvement

Former Employee - Bit of Everything  in  Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Bit of Everything in Dunfermline, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Better World Books full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the UK division of this global bookseller

Better World Books has a positive impact in many ways - it is a valuable source of income for literacy charities and libraries who benefit from each sale , and is great for the environment.

When I worked there I saw people get chances at jobs and develop who where unlikely to get jobs anywhere else due to lack of experience or other barriers.

As it was a growing start-up , there was room to progress for talented employees in at the beginning, who may not have had lots of experience previously

Lots of lovely , genuine people working there

Cons

Salary/benefits for supervisors , support staff and warehouse employees was pretty poor

Some of the senior managers/supervisors in the UK had poor people management skills , where unable to take feedback and where overtly negative to the point you wondered why they did not leave.

Poor or dysfunctional behaviors by some employees was not addressed by managers due to lack of skill/will on the managers part

Books are becoming finite as ebooks take off - no diversification strategy appeared to be in place when I worked there

US CEO, Andy P- although I believe he has now left

Keep growing , and reward and actively develop your lower level employees

Change the culture to a more open and honest approach

Promote active listening and open feedback

Diversify!

Poor experience that got worse with each managerial decision

I worked at Better World Books full-time

Pros

You are able to cash out excessive personal time off for eighty cents on the dollar. They also provide you donuts on payday.

Cons

Difficult to take time off because various managers do not frequently approve vacation requests, even months in advance. Lots of turnover.

Begin to thoroughly interview your prospective employees and inform them what type of atmosphere they will be joining.

There are newer employer reviews for Better World Books.

Worked for Better World Books? Contribute to the Community!