Best Job I've Ever Had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Iowa City, IA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living for more than a year

Pros

This is the best job I've ever had! I love the resident's, the scheduling is flexible to work with our school schedules, our director is great! She listens to our concerns and is available at all hours. She expects us to do our job and calls you out if you don't. But she has really made the place great since she has been here. The activities are fun too. Our resident's get together every month and tell us what they want more or less of. We feel very respected and are given opportunities to get more credentials and get a raise, win scholarships, and she brings us things like pizza, coffee, bagels, donuts, etc for rewards or thank yous.

Cons

Some co-workers who have been here a while have a sense of entitlement and can be negative. They try to gossip and cause problems. Most of us just don't listen to them and let them bring down the team. They are the one's who have less education and don't want to get more to improve themselves, are jealous of others and are unhappy with their own lives. Sometimes they act put out when they have to work with a resident who needs more care or have do anything extra. But this is why we are here, to care for older people. This is assisted living not independent. People move here because they need help. If there is a problem we just tell the director and she takes care of it. She doesn't allow that kind of behavior.

Make the health insurance a little cheaper for your hourly paid positions.

Other Reviews for Bickford Senior Living

Management has their favorites! NO TEAMWORK!

Former Employee - CNA  in  Muscatine, IA
    Former Employee - CNA in Muscatine, IA

I worked at Bickford Senior Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working with and getting to know the residents!

Cons

Management SUCKS! If you are not part of the "click", your on your own! There is NO TEAMWORK! you could not pay me enough to go and work for this company again! It's a shady place to work. ALOT OF GOSSIP!

Corporate should have a surprise visit for awhile cause we all know everybody puts on a show while corporate is there once you leave (corporate) back to the same messed up, dis-functional, place!

A company full of denials

Current Employee - Universal Worker  in  Burlington, IA
    Current Employee - Universal Worker in Burlington, IA

I have been working at Bickford Senior Living part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The satisfaction of helping the elderly. Otherwise, there are no "pros" to this company, management, or the owners.

Cons

Too much turnover in management. No set standards or continuity. Don't require health care background for mgmt. Keeping apartments filled more important than the individuals. Don't allow input from employees. Treat them like necessary evils, not the "family members" (marketing term) that they say they are. Spend money on fluff instead of actual maintenance. Lie to resident's to get them to move in. Really bad menu choices. Food is mediocre. Won't spend the money to hire actual cooks that know what they are doing. Expect kitchen personnel, that means ONE person, to adhere to unreasonable menus and do all the prep, cooking and clean up on top of working a 10 hr. shift.Too many egos have ruined this company. Don't pay bills on time. Employees are expected to do everything from dishes and laundry, to housekeeping, to dining room service, to baths, to resident care, to snow removal. They allow too high a level of care for what is suppose to be "assisted living."

Can't give you advice. You already think you know it all. You say you have "core values" but that is just another marketing term. Your actions speak louder than words. You are fooling yourselves if you think your reputation in your communities hasn't been affected. That has been done by you alone, not any outspoken employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Bickford Senior Living.

Worked for Bickford Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!