Big 5
www.big5sportinggoods.com El Segundo, CA 5000+ Employees

Manager Trainee

Manager Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Big 5 full-time

ProsGreat co-workers
small work space compared to bigger sporting goods stores.
Decent employee discount and OK benefits if you can survive that long.

ConsLimited advancement opportunities. Managers breathing down your neck. For the most part your just a full time overpaid associate even then the pays relatively low for the amount of work your required to do. Your expected to do any task as if your life depended on it. Prepare to not have a life if you decide to work here full time.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople don't have to be running in order to show they're motivation. An occasional real is worth more than a constant fake one.

They are frugal, to put it mildly, and un-supportive of their employees.

Cashier (Former Employee)

I worked at Big 5 part-time

Pros: They're usually hiring, so that's a plus. The people that work… Cons: I know some employees that have worked there for over 4 years and… Advice to Senior Management: Care as much for your employees as you do your customers. Your current business model… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Bring your muscles

I have been working at Big 5

Pros: Easy line of retail goods to learn Expansion into new areas/… Cons: Stores generally have way more stock than room which leads to constantly changing/moving & reorganizing heavy fixtures and displays. Paid Time Off System for managers is… Advice to Senior Management: Get the PTO/Kronos system together!!! Training program needs more organization Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Big 5.

Worked for Big 5? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big 5 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Big 5 CEO Steven G. Miller. All reviews posted anonymously by Big 5 employees.