There are newer employer reviews for Big 5

My store was a great experience due to great management for over 7 years.

I have been working at Big 5

Pros

They will work around your school schedule as a part timer. Great people really make the job enjoyable. I understand the benefits are really good if your in management or full-time position. Some of the managers are afraid to test the market because the insurance is so good.

Cons

You have to work holidays unless your a trainee or unless you request it off. The part-timers do not receive direct deposit and a few times checks were late getting to the store. The district manager mostly from what I seen makes all the decisions on where stuff goes in the store but I've heard it depends on your district manager.

I think the management are very closed off of the ideas that other employees suggest. I thinks communication could be implemented more to help the store rather than no store meetings.

161 Other Employee Reviews for Big 5 (View Most Recent)

Nice Job

Current Employee - Manager In Training  in  Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Manager In Training in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Big 5 full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work is easy. There is always something to do or some customer to help. Training is there you just got to keep reminding them about it. Most of the time they are worried with getting the ad set up or some other project

Cons

Training is slow. They won't train you unless you are scheduled for it. Current manager's may see you as a threat so they slow your training down.

You will get promoted faster if you get your employee's promoted or at least turn them in to rock stars.

A good summer job, but not a career

I worked at Big 5

Pros

Great medical. Great for people that were still in school.

Cons

Terrible 401 k matching. Really dirty, uncomfortable lunch area.

There are newer employer reviews for Big 5

Worked for Big 5? Contribute to the Community!