There are newer employer reviews for Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

I work for a wonderful cause & feel good about my work every day!

Current Employee - Match Support Specialist in Tifton, GA
Current Employee - Match Support Specialist in Tifton, GA

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

There is constant confirmation that you are doing something important. You get to see how what you do affects others. The work you do is important & those you serve let you know that!

Cons

There are no benefits. No insurance or retirement. There is always the possibility that we will lose grant & government funding & I will not have a job.

Advice to Management

I don't really have anything negative to say about the management here. So far, it has been fair and consistent. They are in the office working more hours than I do, so I never feel that I am working for a hypocrit. It's great!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great Mission, Poorly Run Organization

Current Employee - Agency Development in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Agency Development in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

Upon first being hired some years ago, I really loved the organization. Yes, on first glance it was unorganized and a frazzled environment, but we got results as far as the children were concerned, and the staff at the national office were amazing. They were just a great group of people to work with, and I finally felt like part of a great team. But once the new CEO was hired and all of the layoffs happened, employee morale plummeted and has been down in the dumps ever since.

Cons

We are all overworked and underpaid, and treated disrespectfully. Also, care is not taken when hiring new employees. All of those that have been hired of late, are nasty and have poor attitudes; their personalities don't mesh with those who have been here for some time. There is a lack of communication across departments, and between managers and lower level employees.

Advice to Management

Management needs to pay more attention to all of the "worker bees". If it wasn't for them the organization would not survive because they literally do EVERYTHING. Upper management simply delegates, without a clue, and the "worker bees" pick up all of the slack, get things done, and cover upper management's rear ends. They need to be treated with respect, and after several years without pay raises, they all truly deserve them. Pizza parties do nothing to help them feel better about where they work and what they do.

2. Retention of Leadership is an Issue

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Big Brothers Big Sisters of America

Pros

Big Brothers Big Sisters does great work in helping to change how children grow up in America. The organization has a national footprint serving over 250,000 children annually. The mission to help provide support for children is outstanding.

Cons

In 2010 6 of 8 members of the leadership team and many managers have left BBBSA is experiencing dramatic issues in retention of employees.

Advice to Management

Respect employees and learn to value diversity of opinions.