There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

Physically demanding , stressfull work with little room for growth opportunity !

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL
Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual salary was adequate and health benefits were good for full-time employees . The associate discount of 20% was also a plus !

Cons

Unrealistic expectations in implementing the " Dock-to-Stock" program . The company (DM) never allocate sufficient hrs to meet the co. demands . Too many of their stores have exhausted their "life-expectancy" & are antiquated and dirty without any promise of remodeling or updating . I.E. ... the only reason they stay in a particular strip-plaza is because the rent is so cheap and located in the ghetto part of town !

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate each of your 10 yr and older locations . Would it be more cost-effective to re-locate !? Improve you methods of training for ALL levels of Mgmt. including DM's & DLPM's . Re-train DC Mgrs. and loaders to make the 53' trailer deliveries more receivable and less dangerous ! The company is just asking for a major liability/workmans comp suit to leveled against them !

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible Company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are not alot of positives about working at Big Lots except employees and customers.

Cons

I worked for Big Lots in Colorado and it was the worst enviroment to be in. They intimidate their employees, they treat people like trash and worst of all they are affraid of customers. They do not try to stop people from stealing from the stores, instead they blame employees for theft. They get recognition if they blame employees and nothing to help stop the real theives from walking out the door with merchandise. Its companies like Big Lots that ruin statistics about employee theft. HR Department is a joke, They wouldnt let a part timer take a 2 week vacation because they said he couldnt afford it. Like it was there business if he has money or not. They thought they owned you and you were not to have a life outside Big Lots. I hear they still think and talk about me there after all this time, Kinda warms my heart they miss me that much. Managers dont dare stick up for themselves or their teams or they will fire you. Lets see I was told it was called Planting Seeds. They should really make a reality show about Big Lots it would be hilarious. They all ready for the perfect cast in Colorado.

Advice to Management

Rethink how you your LP's affect the stores

Best co-workers I have ever had, we are all friends.....without the drama and backstabbing BS

Current Employee - Store Associate in Morrisville, VT
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Morrisville, VT

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are all awesome. The first place I have worked where the employees don't talk behind the backs of others and be sweet face to face.

Cons

No training at all..........For example.......the new seasonal employees don't even know how to clean a bathroom, myself and another associate showed them.Our assistant managers (we have two of them) make it obvious that they hate their job, to employees AND customers. The hours are nuts, one week I have 30 and the next I get maybe 12 to 18. I am not up for a review until May 2013 but have been told there are few raises and I will probably not get more than a dime.

Advice to Management

At the store I work at I have been told by all my co-workers that if I hurt my back I will get written up for not asking for a team lift. This is BS, when most of the time I am told to just do it, or compared to others who are able to do it alone! Raises should be based upon performance and quality of work and these things should be rewarded with more money!