There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

bad company to work for, they do not stand behind their associates

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i was with the co for a long time and it steadily got worse, between loss prevention micro managing every little thing and hr, not standing behind their store managers, its not worth it, some stores get away with doing whatever they want and others dont. it depends on who they like

Cons

they will work you to death, no appreciation, hr does not stand behind there people unless it suits them, this co is rough and i would advise against working for them as i did,and they will just beat you down.

reviews filtered by

Horrible Company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are not alot of positives about working at Big Lots except employees and customers.

Cons

I worked for Big Lots in Colorado and it was the worst enviroment to be in. They intimidate their employees, they treat people like trash and worst of all they are affraid of customers. They do not try to stop people from stealing from the stores, instead they blame employees for theft. They get recognition if they blame employees and nothing to help stop the real theives from walking out the door with merchandise. Its companies like Big Lots that ruin statistics about employee theft. HR Department is a joke, They wouldnt let a part timer take a 2 week vacation because they said he couldnt afford it. Like it was there business if he has money or not. They thought they owned you and you were not to have a life outside Big Lots. I hear they still think and talk about me there after all this time, Kinda warms my heart they miss me that much. Managers dont dare stick up for themselves or their teams or they will fire you. Lets see I was told it was called Planting Seeds. They should really make a reality show about Big Lots it would be hilarious. They all ready for the perfect cast in Colorado.

Advice to Management

Rethink how you your LP's affect the stores

Physically demanding , stressfull work with little room for growth opportunity !

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual salary was adequate and health benefits were good for full-time employees . The associate discount of 20% was also a plus !

Cons

Unrealistic expectations in implementing the " Dock-to-Stock" program . The company (DM) never allocate sufficient hrs to meet the co. demands . Too many of their stores have exhausted their "life-expectancy" & are antiquated and dirty without any promise of remodeling or updating . I.E. ... the only reason they stay in a particular strip-plaza is because the rent is so cheap and located in the ghetto part of town !

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate each of your 10 yr and older locations . Would it be more cost-effective to re-locate !? Improve you methods of training for ALL levels of Mgmt. including DM's & DLPM's . Re-train DC Mgrs. and loaders to make the 53' trailer deliveries more receivable and less dangerous ! The company is just asking for a major liability/workmans comp suit to leveled against them !