There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

bad company to work for, they do not stand behind their associates

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i was with the co for a long time and it steadily got worse, between loss prevention micro managing every little thing and hr, not standing behind their store managers, its not worth it, some stores get away with doing whatever they want and others dont. it depends on who they like

Cons

they will work you to death, no appreciation, hr does not stand behind there people unless it suits them, this co is rough and i would advise against working for them as i did,and they will just beat you down.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Physically demanding , stressfull work with little room for growth opportunity !

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual salary was adequate and health benefits were good for full-time employees . The associate discount of 20% was also a plus !

Cons

Unrealistic expectations in implementing the " Dock-to-Stock" program . The company (DM) never allocate sufficient hrs to meet the co. demands . Too many of their stores have exhausted their "life-expectancy" & are antiquated and dirty without any promise of remodeling or updating . I.E. ... the only reason they stay in a particular strip-plaza is because the rent is so cheap and located in the ghetto part of town !

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate each of your 10 yr and older locations . Would it be more cost-effective to re-locate !? Improve you methods of training for ALL levels of Mgmt. including DM's & DLPM's . Re-train DC Mgrs. and loaders to make the 53' trailer deliveries more receivable and less dangerous ! The company is just asking for a major liability/workmans comp suit to leveled against them !

Best co-workers I have ever had, we are all friends.....without the drama and backstabbing BS

Current Employee - Store Associate in Morrisville, VT
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Morrisville, VT

I have been working at Big Lots part-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are all awesome. The first place I have worked where the employees don't talk behind the backs of others and be sweet face to face.

Cons

No training at all..........For example.......the new seasonal employees don't even know how to clean a bathroom, myself and another associate showed them.Our assistant managers (we have two of them) make it obvious that they hate their job, to employees AND customers. The hours are nuts, one week I have 30 and the next I get maybe 12 to 18. I am not up for a review until May 2013 but have been told there are few raises and I will probably not get more than a dime.

Advice to Management

At the store I work at I have been told by all my co-workers that if I hurt my back I will get written up for not asking for a team lift. This is BS, when most of the time I am told to just do it, or compared to others who are able to do it alone! Raises should be based upon performance and quality of work and these things should be rewarded with more money!