Big Lots
www.biglots.com Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Store manager

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPay was decent. Good employee discount

ConsNo life work balance. DM expected you to work 6 days a week. When I asked for help on how to better this he would deflect and try to change the subject. I worked 6 days a week and still couldn't get all the tasks completed. Company would give huge projects with no notice or payroll but was expected to get it done no questions asked.
Inventory levels too high for sales volume. Expected to fit 3 pallets of toilet paper on the floor along with 3 pallets of water but don't put it near the front of the store where it might sell. How do you sell Ohio State Buckeye stuffed animals or North Dakota State product when you don't live in the state. Expected tp process 3000 piece trucks with in 24 hours but you are not given the payroll to do it. Always told we were doing dock to stock wrong but when you talked with other stores they were struggling too DM didn' t , like any push back. He only seem to favor employees that agreed with him and didn't want to listen voices that maybe wanted to improve the systems.
Too many floor changes. Constantly touching merchandise 3 or 4 times- wasted productivity.
Facilities very run down. Both employees and especially customers totally disrespect the store.
DM expected the store to look like Macy's but maybe allowed 3 or 4 employees per shift. These employes were expected to ring the registers, help customers on the floor, load merchandise into cars and recover the store perfectly. Physically impossible to do and when mentioned to DM again no good helpful solutions were offered.
DM was in it for himself. Terrified of his boss so would do whatever it would take if his Boss was coming for a visit. Would threaten your job if his Boss had a bad visit.

Big Lots is in for the money and obviously don't care about what it takes to get there.
I am a very seasoned retail manager and worked in many various retail settings but this by far was the worst company I ever worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to look at stores inventory levels. Maybe look to see if the store could sell the product. They can look at stores history to see what sells well and what doesn't. Just because you bought it doesn't mean it will sell ie funnel cake mix.
Be realistic on your dock to stock productivity
Do employee background checks before you hire them
Be open to new ideas. Seem to be stuck in old management
Create a more open work environment. Upper management threatens job security instead of listening to employees.

bad company to work for, they do not stand behind their associates

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Columbia, SC

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: i was with the co for a long time and it steadily got worse, between loss prevention micro managing every little thing and hr, not… Cons: they will work you to death, no appreciation, hr does not stand behind there people unless it suits them, this… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Physically demanding , stressfull work with little room for growth opportunity !

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Bradenton, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Annual salary was adequate and health benefits were good for full-time… Cons: Unrealistic expectations in implementing the " Dock-to-Stock" program . The company (DM) never allocate sufficient hrs to meet the co. demands . Too many of… Advice to Senior Management: Re-evaluate each of your 10 yr and older locations . Would it be more cost-effective to re-locate !? Improve you methods of training for ALL… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Big Lots.

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Big Lots reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Big Lots CEO David J. Campisi. All reviews posted anonymously by Big Lots employees.