There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay was decent. Good employee discount

Cons

No life work balance. DM expected you to work 6 days a week. When I asked for help on how to better this he would deflect and try to change the subject. I worked 6 days a week and still couldn't get all the tasks completed. Company would give huge projects with no notice or payroll but was expected to get it done no questions asked.
Inventory levels too high for sales volume. Expected to fit 3 pallets of toilet paper on the floor along with 3 pallets of water but don't put it near the front of the store where it might sell. How do you sell Ohio State Buckeye stuffed animals or North Dakota State product when you don't live in the state. Expected tp process 3000 piece trucks with in 24 hours but you are not given the payroll to do it. Always told we were doing dock to stock wrong but when you talked with other stores they were struggling too DM didn' t , like any push back. He only seem to favor employees that agreed with him and didn't want to listen voices that maybe wanted to improve the systems.
Too many floor changes. Constantly touching merchandise 3 or 4 times- wasted productivity.
Facilities very run down. Both employees and especially customers totally disrespect the store.
DM expected the store to look like Macy's but maybe allowed 3 or 4 employees per shift. These employes were expected to ring the registers, help customers on the floor, load merchandise into cars and recover the store perfectly. Physically impossible to do and when mentioned to DM again no good helpful solutions were offered.
DM was in it for himself. Terrified of his boss so would do whatever it would take if his Boss was coming for a visit. Would threaten your job if his Boss had a bad visit.

Big Lots is in for the money and obviously don't care about what it takes to get there.
I am a very seasoned retail manager and worked in many various retail settings but this by far was the worst company I ever worked for.

Need to look at stores inventory levels. Maybe look to see if the store could sell the product. They can look at stores history to see what sells well and what doesn't. Just because you bought it doesn't mean it will sell ie funnel cake mix.
Be realistic on your dock to stock productivity
Do employee background checks before you hire them
Be open to new ideas. Seem to be stuck in old management
Create a more open work environment. Upper management threatens job security instead of listening to employees.

339 Other Employee Reviews for Big Lots (View Most Recent)

Physically demanding , stressfull work with little room for growth opportunity !

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Bradenton, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Bradenton, FL

I worked at Big Lots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Annual salary was adequate and health benefits were good for full-time employees . The associate discount of 20% was also a plus !

Cons

Unrealistic expectations in implementing the " Dock-to-Stock" program . The company (DM) never allocate sufficient hrs to meet the co. demands . Too many of their stores have exhausted their "life-expectancy" & are antiquated and dirty without any promise of remodeling or updating . I.E. ... the only reason they stay in a particular strip-plaza is because the rent is so cheap and located in the ghetto part of town !

Re-evaluate each of your 10 yr and older locations . Would it be more cost-effective to re-locate !? Improve you methods of training for ALL levels of Mgmt. including DM's & DLPM's . Re-train DC Mgrs. and loaders to make the 53' trailer deliveries more receivable and less dangerous ! The company is just asking for a major liability/workmans comp suit to leveled against them !

Best co-workers I have ever had, we are all friends.....without the drama and backstabbing BS

Current Employee - Store Associate  in  Morrisville, VT
    Current Employee - Store Associate in Morrisville, VT

I have been working at Big Lots part-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers are all awesome. The first place I have worked where the employees don't talk behind the backs of others and be sweet face to face.

Cons

No training at all..........For example.......the new seasonal employees don't even know how to clean a bathroom, myself and another associate showed them.Our assistant managers (we have two of them) make it obvious that they hate their job, to employees AND customers. The hours are nuts, one week I have 30 and the next I get maybe 12 to 18. I am not up for a review until May 2013 but have been told there are few raises and I will probably not get more than a dime.

At the store I work at I have been told by all my co-workers that if I hurt my back I will get written up for not asking for a team lift. This is BS, when most of the time I am told to just do it, or compared to others who are able to do it alone! Raises should be based upon performance and quality of work and these things should be rewarded with more money!

There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

Worked for Big Lots? Contribute to the Community!