Store manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent. Good employee discount

Cons

No life work balance. DM expected you to work 6 days a week. When I asked for help on how to better this he would deflect and try to change the subject. I worked 6 days a week and still couldn't get all the tasks completed. Company would give huge projects with no notice or payroll but was expected to get it done no questions asked.
Inventory levels too high for sales volume. Expected to fit 3 pallets of toilet paper on the floor along with 3 pallets of water but don't put it near the front of the store where it might sell. How do you sell Ohio State Buckeye stuffed animals or North Dakota State product when you don't live in the state. Expected tp process 3000 piece trucks with in 24 hours but you are not given the payroll to do it. Always told we were doing dock to stock wrong but when you talked with other stores they were struggling too DM didn' t , like any push back. He only seem to favor employees that agreed with him and didn't want to listen voices that maybe wanted to improve the systems.
Too many floor changes. Constantly touching merchandise 3 or 4 times- wasted productivity.
Facilities very run down. Both employees and especially customers totally disrespect the store.
DM expected the store to look like Macy's but maybe allowed 3 or 4 employees per shift. These employes were expected to ring the registers, help customers on the floor, load merchandise into cars and recover the store perfectly. Physically impossible to do and when mentioned to DM again no good helpful solutions were offered.
DM was in it for himself. Terrified of his boss so would do whatever it would take if his Boss was coming for a visit. Would threaten your job if his Boss had a bad visit.

Big Lots is in for the money and obviously don't care about what it takes to get there.
I am a very seasoned retail manager and worked in many various retail settings but this by far was the worst company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Need to look at stores inventory levels. Maybe look to see if the store could sell the product. They can look at stores history to see what sells well and what doesn't. Just because you bought it doesn't mean it will sell ie funnel cake mix.
Be realistic on your dock to stock productivity
Do employee background checks before you hire them
Be open to new ideas. Seem to be stuck in old management
Create a more open work environment. Upper management threatens job security instead of listening to employees.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

bad company to work for, they do not stand behind their associates

Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Columbia, SC

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

i was with the co for a long time and it steadily got worse, between loss prevention micro managing every little thing and hr, not standing behind their store managers, its not worth it, some stores get away with doing whatever they want and others dont. it depends on who they like

Cons

they will work you to death, no appreciation, hr does not stand behind there people unless it suits them, this co is rough and i would advise against working for them as i did,and they will just beat you down.

Horrible Company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are not alot of positives about working at Big Lots except employees and customers.

Cons

I worked for Big Lots in Colorado and it was the worst enviroment to be in. They intimidate their employees, they treat people like trash and worst of all they are affraid of customers. They do not try to stop people from stealing from the stores, instead they blame employees for theft. They get recognition if they blame employees and nothing to help stop the real theives from walking out the door with merchandise. Its companies like Big Lots that ruin statistics about employee theft. HR Department is a joke, They wouldnt let a part timer take a 2 week vacation because they said he couldnt afford it. Like it was there business if he has money or not. They thought they owned you and you were not to have a life outside Big Lots. I hear they still think and talk about me there after all this time, Kinda warms my heart they miss me that much. Managers dont dare stick up for themselves or their teams or they will fire you. Lets see I was told it was called Planting Seeds. They should really make a reality show about Big Lots it would be hilarious. They all ready for the perfect cast in Colorado.

Advice to Management

Rethink how you your LP's affect the stores