There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

bad when furn. mgr. makes more than the assoc. mgr. who carries keys,opens and closes.

Current Employee - Associate Manager in Knoxville, TN
Current Employee - Associate Manager in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Big Lots full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

if your full time, good benefits

Cons

you cant get 40 hrs., a lot of nights and wk ends.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Alright company.

Former Employee - Furniture Associate in Statesboro, GA
    Former Employee - Furniture Associate in Statesboro, GA

I worked at Big Lots part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Big Lots offers flexible schedules and is generally a relaxed work atmosphere. The employees are relatively laid back and rarely any hassles arise.

Cons

Compensation is not competitive at all. Their scheduling delegates all employees aside from management to "part-time" to avoid giving benefits. This leads to a lot of employees not caring much about their positions and leads to scheduling conflicts when employees call in.

Advice to Management

Offer competitive salaries and incentive packages to employees other than store management. Your managers aren't selling your products, the hourly employees are. As a former furniture sales assistant, up-selling just made my job more stressful. If they want one item, that's easier for me to ring up and load. If I upsell them from a sofa to a full living room suite, it's more work for me with nothing but more work. There's just no incentive to boost the numbers.

On downhill slide

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reasonably good pay, solid benefits, good upward mobility if you can ingratiate yourself to the right person.

Cons

Payroll is abysmal, be prepared to constantly run short-handed. Difficult to hire and keep over night stocking crew for the pay allowed. Company has lost touch with what a great deal is and it is reflected in continual comp store losses. Field management only concerned with saving their own hides.

Advice to Management

Hopefully new CEO can right ship, payroll increase desperately needed (wouldn't even have to be that much a month), buy deals customers can see as a great deal.